Japanese White Pines

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I just purchased 2 Japanese White Pines. They are being shipped wrapped in burlap. When I plant these how much water do I give them, as its going to get cold here and I don't want the roots to freeze quickly.

Rick

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Water in the soil will freeze before water IN the roots. A well watered pot will actually protect the roots from freezing, at least until all the water in the soil is frozen. I'd water until the soil was saturated...

A better question would be how you plan on overwintering these trees.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
OK thanks Dave. I was wondering about that.

Rick

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It will also matter where they are coming from to you... And also if they are own root or grafted onto JBP...
Not for the watering question, but for the overwintering scheme. I would water them well before they freeze.

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Massachusetts;)- my old stomping grounds. The trees will be fully dormant so you should be able to put them with your other dormant trees as soon as you get them. If these are grafted onto JBP stock, they aren't quite as hardy as straight JWP. They're still very cold tolerant, and can freeze solid for months on end, but I wouldn't subject them to a full on MI winter without some fairly solid winter protection

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They are going in my barn with my other trees. So plant them in a large colunder,water them good, and put them away until spring.

Rick

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, sounds good. If they are grafted, then keep them in a well protected spot.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I will have to contact previous owner on the graft part.

Rick

Top Bottom