japanese white pines

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i saw these last week at homey d's and have been trying to talk myself out of buying one all week.

$69,4'tall, in 3 gallon pots, about a 2" trunk at the soil line,branching starts about 10-12" up,and foliage starting a few inches from the trunk.
there's a little sort of ring around the trunk right above the soil line that could be a graft,but you have to look real close-so i'm guessing it's not a graft-unless there's a graft under the soilIMG_0620 (2).JPG

should i stay away,or snatch them before someone else does

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
homey d's

That's awesome! classic!
Can I use that?

Dave E, how are the Black pines?

Honestly, I thought you more inclined to find that kind of stock.
I'd like to hear this conversation,
Thanks for starting it!

Sorce

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
the black pines are still alive,our temps have been very mild here and i'm sure that has helped

....and you can use it Sorce

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
sorry about the bad photo-i had my son take a pic with his iphone.
i gotta head out there today i'll bring my camera and either take a pic or buy one.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
More than likely grafted trees. Especially at Home depot. Like Brian said,can't tell from the pictures. And if the branches are a foot from the soil on a 2 inch tree I would pass too.
But someone will come on here and say go ahead and blow your money,use them for" practice." Because it's never their time or money,why would they care?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Dave,

You know what....

I love white pine. If I ever wanted to keep one, I would want a real nice one.

And I Damn sure couldn't do it without knowing them at Least a little.

I'd buy it. If it end up good, Great, if not, you will learn it!

Sorce

@M. Frary. Phsycic. .

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
thanks for all the advice-think i got to go back and take another look at them.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it end up good

But from the description these wont. Ever.
I'll say it again. Why waste valuable time and energy and money on something that will never be any good? If you start with a decent hunk of wood to start out with it should be decent when you are done. Or dead. If you spend a little more or wait until you can find something decent you haven't wasted all the time learning. You learn on the better one. Also if it is better you will be more cautious,learn more from being cautious and have a decent tree when you're done. Instead of some thing sitting out there that will just be taking up space.
When I learned to ride a bicycle I didn't have a practice bike. Nor a practice car when I learned to drive. I used the real things.
What's worse is when someone says to use an Eastern White pine to practice on for when they do get a Japanese white pine. That is like learning how to drive a car by practicing on a garden tractor.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sure, there is a 1% chance it ends up good!

Maybe, it is different! E&J white pine.

But. .....there will always be a level of knowledge gained.

To me........it's the difference between knowing a lake, and being there for the first time. Yes?

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To me........it's the difference between knowing a lake, and being there for the first time. Yes?
I only know a couple lakes real good. For tournaments I may get to be on it one day to practice. Most times I'm only marking high percentage spots and putting together a milk run. That comes from practicing doing the real thing.
I bet I can come down and in a day catch just as many or more than the old timer who has spent his whole life on a certain lake. He is only practicing on one crappy lake. He has preconceived notions as to where the fish are and what they doing.
And put him and I on a strange lake I'll catch more everytime. Because I learned doing the real thing.
Like trees. If you practice on some crappy white pine or tube trunk from home Depot you still won't know what to do when the real thing is sitting in front of you.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd pass. If they are all like the one pictured, they're not bonsai material. If you want one for your landscape, it's perfect.

Since you're gonna buy one regardless of the advice you're getting here, anything above the first whorl is waste. The distance between the first and second whorl is far too long for any style of bonsai.

No, it won't back bud there.

No, they don't air layer well.

Yes, it is grafted.

No, the grafting scar won't improve over time. At least not for thirty years.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dave E,
snatch them before someone else does
I certainly wouldn't purchase it thinking that it's a "deal". If you wait till after Christmas, any left over will be much cheaper.
Here's a deal, though far from bonsai material. I bought this black pine for just $58. Got some work ahead of me :)
Black Pine.jpg
CW

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
CW, that's another garden tree.

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Instead of some thing sitting out there that will just be taking up space.

so i went back and looked at them and all i kept hearing in my head was this quote from mike-so i passed.
i already have a few trees taking up space.
it just didn't have enough going for it to take up more (valuable)space.
thanks everyone for the advice

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
so i went back and looked at them and all i kept hearing in my head was this quote from mike-so i passed.
i already have a few trees taking up space.
it just didn't have enough going for it to take up more (valuable)space.
thanks everyone for the advice

Congratulations! You have just taken the first step of becoming a bonsai master!

Discernment.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm sorry, CW... What's there to chop? Cut off all the foliage you have firewood.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here's a deal, though far from bonsai material. I bought this black pine for just $58.

Why do you say this was a deal. I would have passed on it and saved my money for better material.

I'm not trying to call you out or anything, I ask myself the same thing when I am considering purchasing a tree. Make a list of pros and cons and see which out weights which.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry, can't stop myself from posting garden purchases here. I'll try to restrict my comments to bonsai.
CW

Top Bottom