Japanese Yew

Driver170

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi i got this Japanese Yew from my local Bonsai club.

As you can see its growing really vigorously i know autumn is the best time to hard prune. But can anyone give me any feed back in a design that i should approach this yew?

Just unsure but i was thinking small foliage pads going up the twist of the trunk

Attachments

• IMG_1349.JPG
    IMG_1349.JPG
    330.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1350.JPG
    IMG_1350.JPG
    375.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1405.JPG
    IMG_1405.JPG
    396.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1415.JPG
    IMG_1415.JPG
    272.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1416.JPG
    IMG_1416.JPG
    389.6 KB · Views: 110

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That's just plain cool man! Great trunk movement, and I dig the dead wood!
How about an eye level view of the front?
And you should update your profile to show your location, people will be able to help better.
Welcome to crazy!

Driver170

Shohin
Reaction score
I hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_1663.JPG
    IMG_1663.JPG
    310.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1665.JPG
    IMG_1665.JPG
    488.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1666.JPG
    IMG_1666.JPG
    521.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1668.JPG
    IMG_1668.JPG
    333.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1669.JPG
    IMG_1669.JPG
    503 KB · Views: 82

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Consider emphasizing the trunk, and frame it with foliage. Pull the foliage mass in close to the trunk and compact the design overall. Not a bad tree as it is, I'd just like to see it compacted.

On photographing: position yourself lower so your lens is about even with the lower trunk. Ideally you won't see the back edge of the pot. Then, make sure you get the whole tree in the frame. You included a lot of photos, so I get the idea, but none are good enough of the whole tree to do a virt.
6176655888_IMG_7698.JPG
Welcome, too. My MIL has traveled Europe quite a bit and has said Edinburgh is one of her favorite places.

Reaction score
It is a nice silhouette. From the interior photo's it is clear that the tree is styled and maintained for the "green ball" looks. The question is, how experienced are you for reworking a tree like this. The best thing would be to select the most beautiful branches and rework the basic structure. It is an elegant trunk, don't put to much green on it.

Driver170

Shohin
Reaction score
I have never pruned or styled any tree before so its my first.

I'm watching Ryan neils videos on his website that i've signed upto he explains alot about pruning and pinching etc for all types of species.

But i do agree the foliage has to be reduced. I'll
Start at the bottom first and work my way up and applying the techniques I've learnt from Ryan neil. But its my first and very scary to start cutting away and even trying to make it look good.

Driver170

Shohin
Reaction score
Before and after guys. Not sure if thats a pine or a yew?

But obviously mine needs reduced like this to show the trunk and define the foliage into pads.

Attachments

• IMG_1706.jpg
    IMG_1706.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1707.jpg
    IMG_1707.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1708.jpg
    IMG_1708.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 75
Reaction score
This is a taxus with a massive trunk. The pruning done to this one is just shortening current years growth. There are no changes in the basic structure. You can do this now (cutting back and leaving a few new needles). This way you will allow light in the tree AND more important, you will get to know your tree. Look at the structure. Look at the structure of nice trees or nice bonsai in your part of the world. If you restyle yours, do it in fall. And do ask a pro!

Driver170

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks alot. I know
This is a taxus with a massive trunk. The pruning done to this one is just shortening current years growth. There are no changes in the basic structure. You can do this now (cutting back and leaving a few new needles). This way you will allow light in the tree AND more important, you will get to know your tree. Look at the structure. Look at the structure of nice trees or nice bonsai in your part of the world. If you restyle yours, do it in fall. And do ask a pro!

Thanks, i know its alot to think about and consider. I might email a bonsai club member and ask for guidance.

Driver170

Shohin
Reaction score
And little to no foliage in the lower 2/3 of the trunk - like yours.
View attachment 149733

Even if you like the green dome look, there are ways to do it that still highlight the trunk.
That's exactly what style i'm wanting. You can see on my picture the bottom branch scoops and curves around

Top Bottom