Japanese youtube channel I’ve been hooked on

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
OMG Why cant bonsai nurseries here be like that ?????

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
This is cooler, the guy its some kind of hermit living in the middle of nowhere in a japanese mountain and doing bonsai, just awesome

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is cooler, the guy its some kind of hermit living in the middle of nowhere in a japanese mountain and doing bonsai, just awesome

It really irritates me when people publicly talk about others and have no idea what they are talking about. Yamasibon is not a hermit and doesn't live in the middle of nowhere on a mountain.

Why would you write things you have no clue on?

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
It really irritates me when people publicly talk about others and have no idea what they are talking about. Yamasibon is not a hermit and doesn't live in the middle of nowhere on a mountain.

Why would you write things you have no clue on?
😅😅😅😅

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I just like his videos dude I dont care who he is or where he lives, thats something good in my opinion enjoy someone content without much context or knowing his languange, but anyway if you want to put his biography or something go ahead 😂

Last edited:

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just like his videos dude I dont care who he is or where he lives if you want to put his biography or something go ahead 😂
You like his videos yet write negatively on him?

Good for you dude.....good for you.

JEads

Mame
Reaction score
OMG Why cant bonsai nurseries here be like that ?????
I think this is a good question that could use a little more exploring.
I too have gotten sucked down the rabbit hole of is youtuber and have been loving the content.

Here is my contribution to the discussion:

1. I think it was in the og video that the grower mentioned that he was 5th generation and that the nursery had been there almost 100 years. Another video i was watching mentioned that some of the trees in the ground had been planted there over 100 years before. So, I think that in 50 years we might have a few nurseries that are of this caliper. However, time is not enough.

2. A ton of skill is involved in pulling trees of this quality off. We have some amazing bonsai practitioners in this country, but not near enough to be able to trickle down into owning and managing collections like these. Almost every full time bonsai professional practitioner that I know is involved in teaching and in the production of show quality trees. The expertise is all stuck at the top because that is where the money is. Which brings me to the next point:

3. The OG youtube post mentions the pricing on some of the trees: 5000yen for a tiny trident maple. that is around $50USD. Lets assume you only sell those for a living. At minimum wage in Oregon, I would have to sell almost 1500 of those per year to take home $30,000, after costs. That does not give you any retirement, health care, or savings. I do not think that there is a market in the USA to sell that many of those trees year after year to create the type of stability needed to maintain a nursery for 100 years. (and you could also argue that $30,000/yr is not a sustainable wage, but that is another post altogether) The demand is high for some items, but I don't think it is high enough for most and even though the demand might be there, I am not sure that the market is willing to pay the prices needed to sustain the grower. How many years of watering and maintaining that single trident does it take to get to that point? 5 years? At 5 years of growth, that means $10/year. If I offered you 20cents per week to simply water that tree (not to mention the 1000 other things done to that tree) would you take me up on it? (if so, I am looking to hire!)

So in conclusion: In 50 years, assuming that there is a little more trickle down knowledge and high enough demand coupled with willingness to pay the prices needed to sustain a nursery, I predict that we will have nurseries in the USA that are just like those that we see in Japan and other places.

All this being said, I am starting a small bonsai nursery. I will try to keep everyone updated on how it is going, and might even pass it on to the next generation (although they are very reluctant to help me, especially with the black pines ((too pokey)) so you might need to look other places for those in 25 years!)

Cheers
John Eads
Left Coast Bonsai

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There was a time when the Japanese did not discover Youtube yet. Many Asian countries had, and some still have, their local internet bubble (ie not using google or Facebook, etc). But this has changed and there is now a wealth of Japanese bonsai videos on Youtube.

Next thing we need is Google to step up and create a near perfect audio detection and language translation so we get automatic and accurate English captions.

This is another nice channel:
Bonsai dashu.jp🌲大樹.jp🌳盆景 Japan
\

Ah yes, also the algorithm doesn't usually connect English language bonsai content with Japanese language bonsai content.

Last edited:

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is another nice channel:
Bonsai dashu.jp🌲大樹.jp🌳盆景 Japan

Ah wait, this channel I linked above is actually another channel visiting Mr. Kitadani. But this is his own youtube channel:
4代目の盆栽枯らさない塾 (4th generation bonsai private school)

Ah yes, also the algorithm doesn't usually connect English language bonsai content with Japanese language bonsai content.

(couldn't edit anymore, but I confused up the two channels)

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I think this is a good question that could use a little more exploring.
I too have gotten sucked down the rabbit hole of is youtuber and have been loving the content.

Here is my contribution to the discussion:

1. I think it was in the og video that the grower mentioned that he was 5th generation and that the nursery had been there almost 100 years. Another video i was watching mentioned that some of the trees in the ground had been planted there over 100 years before. So, I think that in 50 years we might have a few nurseries that are of this caliper. However, time is not enough.

2. A ton of skill is involved in pulling trees of this quality off. We have some amazing bonsai practitioners in this country, but not near enough to be able to trickle down into owning and managing collections like these. Almost every full time bonsai professional practitioner that I know is involved in teaching and in the production of show quality trees. The expertise is all stuck at the top because that is where the money is. Which brings me to the next point:

3. The OG youtube post mentions the pricing on some of the trees: 5000yen for a tiny trident maple. that is around $50USD. Lets assume you only sell those for a living. At minimum wage in Oregon, I would have to sell almost 1500 of those per year to take home $30,000, after costs. That does not give you any retirement, health care, or savings. I do not think that there is a market in the USA to sell that many of those trees year after year to create the type of stability needed to maintain a nursery for 100 years. (and you could also argue that $30,000/yr is not a sustainable wage, but that is another post altogether) The demand is high for some items, but I don't think it is high enough for most and even though the demand might be there, I am not sure that the market is willing to pay the prices needed to sustain the grower. How many years of watering and maintaining that single trident does it take to get to that point? 5 years? At 5 years of growth, that means $10/year. If I offered you 20cents per week to simply water that tree (not to mention the 1000 other things done to that tree) would you take me up on it? (if so, I am looking to hire!)

So in conclusion: In 50 years, assuming that there is a little more trickle down knowledge and high enough demand coupled with willingness to pay the prices needed to sustain a nursery, I predict that we will have nurseries in the USA that are just like those that we see in Japan and other places.

All this being said, I am starting a small bonsai nursery. I will try to keep everyone updated on how it is going, and might even pass it on to the next generation (although they are very reluctant to help me, especially with the black pines ((too pokey)) so you might need to look other places for those in 25 years!)

Cheers
John Eads
Left Coast Bonsai
Great points John. Thanks!

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Youtube is taking me on a hell of a ride. It’s algorithm has led me to this video which showcases a nursery that makes Heron’s look like Nigel Saunders:

Yeah Bonsai Q I’ve been hooked on for weeks …. May I add to your repertoire ?
Bonsai Times

Bonsai Shinshi

Michelangelo Bonsai

Tora Bonsai School

Top Bottom