Jasmine Bonsai- HELP- leaves look folded

Mlentijo

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, I’m a beginner in the Bonsai world but I inherited an amazing collection of Bonsais from my mother in law who was a dedicated Bonsai expert for 30+ years. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to learn from her and I want to take really good care of her trees. One of the trees is a beautiful Jasmine. It seemed it was doing great and flowering until 2 days ago I noticed the leaves look folded.
I have him in direct Sun and I water him every day since I read they like water and sun. I live in Miami so it’s starting to get hot. Please take a look at the pictures I have attached. I’m really concerned since I don’t know if I have overwater or if he need more water. I fertilized him a couple days ago with organic fertilizer as well.

appreciate your help!!!!

Attachments

• F1B738AA-D44D-4489-B631-73C820B651ED.jpeg
    F1B738AA-D44D-4489-B631-73C820B651ED.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 46
  • E73EF546-3E97-4C0E-893A-2802395ABC87.jpeg
    E73EF546-3E97-4C0E-893A-2802395ABC87.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 938C9535-4902-47DF-B567-C176F8CE11AE.jpeg
    938C9535-4902-47DF-B567-C176F8CE11AE.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 7E2753D9-BE8F-464C-B608-87339E307EF3.jpeg
    7E2753D9-BE8F-464C-B608-87339E307EF3.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 46

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
That is most likely wrightia religiosa, commonly called water jasmine. I don't have any experience with that particular species but a lot of my tropical trees have that folded up look when they are going through a growth spurt. Even though it is always warm here in Florida they still have a big spurt in spring.

Folded up leaves on a ficus can mean thrips but as far as I've seen thrips aren't a problem on wrightia religiosa.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I have one, it's a water jasmine. I chopped the tree to focus on the trunk last year but I remember that it was natural to see the leaves have a slightly folded look. Not nearly as dramatic as yours buy even now with new leafing I notice the folded tendency in the new leaves.

These are very heavy feeders so make sure to fertilize properly.

You can defoliate these trees but I'd talk to someone before doing it. Your tree looks very healthy to me. I can't say why the leaves are folding that dramatically but if you're in a southern state a bonsai nursery in your area could help.

I know Wigert's in Florida propagates and sells them and I'm quite sure that's where mine came from originally.

Mlentijo

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your response. I hope it’s nothing serious 🙏🏻

Mlentijo

Seedling
Reaction score
That is most likely wrightia religiosa, commonly called water jasmine. I don't have any experience with that particular species but a lot of my tropical trees have that folded up look when they are going through a growth spurt. Even though it is always warm here in Florida they still have a big spurt in spring.

Folded up leaves on a ficus can mean thrips but as far as I've seen thrips aren't a problem on wrightia religiosa.

Mlentijo

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your message. Makes me feel better I haven’t kill my beautiful tree 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I know Wigert's in Florida propagates and sells them and I'm quite sure that's where mine came from originally.
That's where mine came from also. I have never noticed it's leaves folding.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thank you very much for your message. Makes me feel better I haven’t kill my beautiful tree 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
When was the last time your water jasmine was repotted? April is a good time to do that if it needs it.

Overwatering can cause problems for this plant. They're more pest resistant than most bonsai trees but have no tolerance for wet roots and overwatering will cause root rot. If the leaves start yellowing or dropping you have a problem. Do you leave the soil constantly wet or let it dry out completely between waterings? It needs to dry completely.

If it hasn't been repotted in the last two years then repot it next month and take a look at the roots. If they show signs of root rot then trim the roots.

There are three leaf sizes of water jasmine. Small, medium and large and they're all used for bonsai but have different flowering tendencies as well as other differences. I can't tell which yours is.

Make sure you're watering correctly and see how things progress. If you start seeing leaf drop or yellowing then you need to repot and take a hard look at the roots. Also, yellowing can indicate a deficiency in nutrients so fertilizer is important.

Pictures on Google will show the tendency for some to have a natural inward curl but nothing quite as extreme as yours. There are also Youtube videos on this bonsai. I haven't watched them but you may want to. If I had a problem with my tree or I'd watch them. It's a good way to learn about this type of bonsai.

Good luck and hope you'll keep your thread updated.

Mlentijo

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. I hope it’s not the roots 😭. I didn’t know I had to let it dry before watering. I read that it has to be moist all the time and since it is in direct sun I didn’t want him to dry. I live in Miami and it can get very hot. So far I don’t see any leaves falling or yellow but I will keep a close eye. I’m really worried, don’t want to kill this tree 😞

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Water Spots?

Welcome to Crazy!

Seems maybe something else is hiding among it.

Sorce

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It needs to dry completely
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with that. There is a reason they are called Water Jasmine. Mine is thirsty and I never let it dry out completely.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Carol, In Florida they dry completely every day and sometimes more than once a day. OP didn't give a location so there was no way to know her weather. She's in Miami so I don't think she's overwatering. In Florida the general rule is to water in the morning in the heat of the summer and again in late afternoon to cool them off. So far I only water once a day but that's what the nurseries suggest. During cooler months If the tree is only moist on top that's not an issue...I do that, but leaving the whole plant moist isn't something I do. Leaving the whole plant moist means the roots are staying moist too. This plant doesn't tolerate that.

OP, bottom line is to take responsibility for the plant and find a bonsai nursery in your area. You can go to Wigert's, it's not terribly far from you and learn to repot or pay them to repot it for you. It's the only way to know that the roots are in good condition. Water Jasmine's are fairly pest resistant so I wouldn't think that's the issue. The tree looks healthy but I think it's odd enough that you'll want to know for sure. Wigert's may say it's not a problem or they may suggest repotting. They're very helpful and used to helping people with this kind of problem. Also, I'd think there are bonsai nurseries closer to you but I don't know what's in your immediate area.

I understand you have an emotional connection to this tree so you're going to want to learn to repot it along with other things and taking a class or two at Wigert's would give you that skill set and you could carry on worry free. You can't diagnose everything on the internet and this is one of those things. I think your tree will be fine but also think you should repot it. Good luck!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Katie0317 - I have grown Wrightia religiosa for may years. You are incorrect or you are thinking of some other species. Wrightia religiosa will die if allowed to dry out at all. IT MUST be kept moist. The common name, water jasmine, is appropriate. It could be called "I dry, I die". It absolutely must be kept moist. You might be thinking of some other species.

Mlentijo

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. Yesterday we cut a lot of the foliage since it was overgrown and probably not getting enough water to support the whole tree. I keep watering every day. I spoke to an expert that knows the tree and he suggested to give him a good cut and to place him in indirect sun for a couple days to and watch him closely. Hopefully this helps 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Thank you very much for the help, very much appreciated!

will keep you posted!

Top Bottom