JBP 4 year old

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
What would ya'll do with this. I just got it in the mail today. It's one of Julian Adams 4 year old JBP. It's in a 3.5" plastic pot with what looks like some kind of bonsai soil. I assume I should repot it right away? If so maybe in a pond basket. My soil choices are bonsai jacks mix (pumice, turface, lava and pine bark) or just strait pumice. Also since it appears to be in bonsai soil already should I bare root it or leave some of the rootball intact like a 1/2 bare root?

Attachments

• JBP 4 year old.jpg
    JBP 4 year old.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 65

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yep, pot it up. But I don’t use pond baskets. Pines grow well in terra cotta bulb pans and Anderson flats. Wire it in well, spread out the roots, and Bonsai Jack mix sounds fine. Let it grow this year without pruning it at all, feed it well, and post an update in the fall.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Many growers do use pond baskets with pines. They dry out too quick here so I get far better results with nursery pots. Should be a great time of year to repot in Florida.
The current soil is OK so you could bare root or just comb out half - your choice, both should work but if the current soil is vastly different to the new mix I'd be tempted to remove more to have a consistent mix.

The top shoots appear much stronger than the lowest ones. Hopefully that will change as it has room to grow and more light but be prepared to suppress the top to encourage better growth lower down. Those lower branches are very important in future development unless you're planning on literati.

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I bought one from him, same state as yours! repotted mine about 3 weeks ago. I did half bare root with APL and potted it in a terracotta, has been thriving and no signs of weakness. I can see the buds awakening, in fact. If this helps as a success story for you.

Top Bottom