JBP 6yr Contest - What to do with the roots?

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So repotting time is almost here and I need a bit of a plan for the roots.

I've got radial or mostly radial roots. I could develop exposed root or root over rock, I've got a pretty good idea how to do with that.

But what if I want a more traditional, radial nebari? I spy on Mark Comstocks FB page every now and again for tips - he had a couple of posts up lately that show pruning the roots pretty hard. It looks like he's pruned back to smaller roots, and sometimes removed big roots. Is this to get root ramification in early? How does it relate to root development later on?

What do folks think, has anyone got comparative results or experience to share? What happens if I leave them all or don't trim them? At the moment, all I do is spread them out, remove crossing ones etc. I'm kinda concerned not to remove a lot in case I slow them down / kill them. Is the tree storing energy in the roots over Winter?

Here are some examples of my '18 and '20 seedlings. Any suggestions, ideas or examples welcome!

20200917_115849 copy.jpg

20200917_120022 copy.jpg

20200903_165428 web.jpeg

20200907_185607 web.jpeg

Attachments

• 20200917_125247 copy.jpg
    20200917_125247 copy.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 14

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I trimmed mine to encourage lateral growth. You can see an example here:

This may slow them a smidge but it won't hurt them. This is what the root mass will look like in a year if you clean it up during repotting:

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe keep this in your original thread, less confusing :)

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Fonz is right, I did! I kinda figured my question about roots was generic to JBP, so it seemed a bit tucked away in my own thread, and forum rules say other threads can be created to ask for advice. I don't mind if bnut wants to move / delete.

I'll try some experiments this Spring, though further early root experience still v welcome :)

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Fonz is right, I did! I kinda figured my question about roots was generic to JBP, so it seemed a bit tucked away in my own thread, and forum rules say other threads can be created to ask for advice. I don't mind if bnut wants to move / delete.

I'll try some experiments this Spring, though further early root experience still v welcome :)
This was a good question a lot of us want answered, might have missed it buried in your contest thread.
Thank you

Top Bottom