JBP air layer

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is a JBP air layer I took from a tree in my backyard. It has grown well this year but did not produce any "proper" candles like my other. Is that because it is getting adjusted on new roots? I think that I should not do anything to this tree this year but feed it and put some wire on it this fall. Agree?

Attachments

• IMG_1400.jpg
    IMG_1400.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1401.jpg
    IMG_1401.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1402.jpg
    IMG_1402.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 37

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I would not wire it this fall, for fear of damaging the new roots.

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry, should have mentioned that it was separated last fall so it will be in the pot for 1 full year this fall. Still too soon to wire?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I would still wait, unless you feel it's solid in the pot. See how little top growth it put on this year? It's a good indication of what's happening under the soil.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
I would think you should remove one of those branches this year before you get reverse taper at that whorl.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would think you should remove one of those branches this year before you get reverse taper at that whorl.

I would error on the side of caution and not remove any major branches, or do any wiring... Nothing that might push or pull a whole lot on those developing roots!

Kind of shocked to see a successful air layer on such an old branch of a JBP! Most indications are they are VERY hard to layer on anything older than about 1 year. How long did it take to make roots, and are you certain you had a good enough root system when you separated? Obviously the needles still look green which is a great sign, but like Bryan said- the lack of growth is at least an indication you probably don't want to stress this tree a whole lot right now.

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It took 5 months +/-. I attempted 3 on the same tree and 2 made roots. 1 didn't make it. The roots were OK on it - not great. I didn't want the layer out swinging in the cold winter. I will let it be until next year and see if it makes good candles which I guess would be a good indicator of health. I have no clue as to style right now.

Top Bottom