JBP and zelkova seedlings

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This has been answered often but seldom with the same answer given so I figured I would bring it up again. I have a small amount of JBP and zelkova seedlings up to about 2" tall that were sown into cell-packs. Should they be transplanted at a certain size or certain type of year? Cut the tap root or leave it? I recall reading about girdling the taproot but at these guys' size that'd be problematic.

I realize that especially with the JBP it'll be years before they get any size to them but I find pines a pretty intimidating subject so perhaps by the time they can be worked I'll have an idea what to do with them :)

Thanks!

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi Grog,

How old are the seedlings? I have some JBP sewn earlier this year in a larger pot. I recently pulled them out of the soil one at a time and potted them in to 4" square pots. All the soil was removed carefully and the nice little roots were spread as they were potted. No tap roots were present per se as those seem to develop later in life. I did cut the lowest roots with shears if I thought they would interfere with spreading them in the new pots. Be careful as the new roots are fragile.

Can't help on the zelcova...

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Graydon. The JBP were sown in late March, they popped in early May and they're about 2" tall. I accidentally pulled one today while I was weeding. The perlite/oildry fell off the roots pretty easily and I potted it up into a 6" bulb type pot. Now that you mention it there wasn't really a taproot, just a nice tangle of white roots. I'd just assumed(should know better than ass-u-me'ing by now) there would be one there if I looked for it.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Cool. Be careful not to overpot these little guys. It's better to slowly go up in size every year or so than to go very big right away. They seem to root colonize smaller pots quickly (duh) and then get down to the business of growing up and out once the pot is filling with roots. That is just my assumption as I potted some JBP in 4" pots and some in 6" and larger pots. The ones in the smaller pots seem to have done better and put on more top growth.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's why it's good to post these things, I should know better to overpot like that. Thanks for the advice once again Graydon!

/faceslap

Gnome

Mame
Reaction score
Grog,

I take it that the Zelkova still in the cell-packs. Take a look at Brent's remarks in this thread.
http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602
I have aggressively transplanted new Zelkova seedlings in early summer before so I think you can get away with it. The slip pot Brent mentions would be a safer approach though. I have found that the roots of Zelkova can get away from you if you don't keep them in check.

Norm

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The JBP were transplanted with little to none of the substrate they were growing in as it simply fell away. The zelkova were planted into a denser mix thus it was possible to slip pot them. I've divided the repotted seedlings into different spots with different amounts of sunlight just to get a better idea of what works for them. I'm going to guess full shade for the zelkova and afternoon shade for the JBP will work best but it's always nice to know for sure.

Thanks!

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A couple of the zelkova died rather quickly after the move, all the JBP made it. Oddly the zelkovas that croaked were spread amongst the three different places I put the seedlings. Five were put in full sun, six in part shade, 5 in full shade and 2 or 3 died from each group. Weather conditions weren't exactly favorable, there was some extreme heat for a couple weeks after the move and some storms with high winds since then. I lost several more of both last week but that was a result of being stepped on by a walking T-bone, not much horticultural know-how can do about that. They're all in almost full sun now getting a little shade in the middle of the day. Seem to be doing well.

Top Bottom