JBP are pretty dam amazing!

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I got them off ebay from Matthew Ouwinga, user name kaedebonsai-en. He also has a website, http://kaedebonsai.com/. If I remember I paid about $30 for 20 seedlings. They were listed as Mikawa Japanese black pine.

What's do you use for substrate?

They are in a mix of dry stall (pumice) and about 20% pine bark mulch. The dry stall was used right out of the bag. The pine bark was sifted to remove everything over 1/4".

I water daily and fertilize with Vigoro 10-10-10 fertilizer at double strength every 10 days or so.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bloody nice!

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Nice! I have some of their older siblings. As an aside, I'd wire some movement into those trunks sooner then later if you're planning to make a descent tree out of them.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes two years.

I've wired a few of them. Unfortunately now isn't the best time to wire pines. My plan was to repot and wire this spring but I ran out of time.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Josef, this fall is the optimum time for defining future trees. Decide what you want. Short/fat, informal, bungin or somewhere in between ;-) but deciding what you want with what each tree has to offer lets you accelerate the growing/developing curve.

Mudroot

Shohin
Reaction score
I hope ta tell ya.

I posted a while back about a mess I have.

http://www.bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/whats-a-guy-to-do.18870/

Anyhow, a couple weeks ago, I said "what the heck" and attempted a bend.

CRRR--AAA--ccc--CKKK !!!

oops.

Kinda pushed it back to where it was. (more just stopped trying to bend and pulled it sorta back to start)

So far, it's not showing any adverse effect and all I'm doing is watching and watering.

o_O

gar732

Sapling
Reaction score
Nice. I picked up some 2 year old bare root jbp's and yours look much better than what I received, well done.

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
By all means try to do some really good bending to put some accent into those nice seedlings. Mine are the same age as yours and I started wiring the first year. Hopefully by this fall and winter you'll still have some room to do some bending, maybe not as much as mine but at least something. If your trunks thicken up too much with this summers growth you might not be able to and will have to the best you can with what you have. :)

Attachments

• uss31b.jpg
    uss31b.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 60

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
CRRR--AAA--ccc--CKKK !!!

oops.

Kinda pushed it back to where it was. (more just stopped trying to bend and pulled it sorta back to start)

Why try to re straighten it? Several years ago I got one of these green breaks in a JBP I'd waited too long to bend. Since the branch was on the outside of the bend(break)I just left it and let it heal over several years. I got my bend and the tree got some added character.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They get about 8 hours direct sun where they were now. Last year I had them in a different spot that got about 10 or so.

Here are a couple that I did get a chance to wire. I'm planing these to become medium size trees.

tmp_2678-IMG_20150614_191828-2102330589.jpg tmp_2678-IMG_20150614_191856-562736140.jpg tmp_2678-IMG_20150614_1920581525579442.jpg

Top Bottom