JBP asking price question?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You've seen these growing in the ground?
Yes. One of our Oregon Bonsai nurseryman has(if I remember right)3 of them growing in the ground and he gets grafting stock off of them. I couldn't tell you what cultivar to save my life as I didn't ask. I was asking him about growing one and he showed me these and he reached down and picked it up a foot or so and it was basically limp except for the apex and ends of branches that were lighter and reaching for the light. They were maybe 10-12 feet in trunk length. I had thought it would be neat to have one growing in the yard for a specimen tree. Maybe not such a hot idea.

Chad D

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well crap. Now I'm going to have to retract my negativity statement on the soilless thread. This is entertaining!

My money is on aframe. You clenched it early on with the 13 y/o niece comment. Well played. Well played indeed.

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My testosterone detector and my dick-wad meter are both registering off the scale, like a flashback to the BNut of old, circa 2011 I'd guess - the really good stuff you could only get in the bar.
Are you not entertained? Are You Not Entertained?

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you not entertained? Are You Not Entertained?

YES!!! I AM entertained!!!

(If this site only featured bonsai, if that's all it was about for me, I'd just go out and work on my trees. Bonsai folks have, collectively, the highest percentage of interesting jerks in any hobby, and I just love to watch the friction when they express their true form, and IMO they bring that true form then to their trees. As I've said, X-type people create X-type bonsai, and I love mine interesting and a bit unrefined.) Rant/

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
There are a lot of jerks in the surf line-up too, not sure who takes the cake here...
Might be time to start my own 'Jerk' thread; I can post comments of my trees like, "you can tell this tree was made by the hand of a master Jerk's man". Other jerks will be welcome to post there too. Then we could have a year long contest, "the Jerk off" and we'll see who's the biggest jerk with the jerkiest tree. I think this site has a polling function.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are a lot of jerks in the surf line-up too, not sure who takes the cake here...
Might be time to start my own 'Jerk' thread; I can post comments of my trees like, "you can tell this tree was made by the hand of a master Jerk's man". Other jerks will be welcome to post there too. Then we could have a year long contest, "the Jerk off" and we'll see who's the biggest jerk with the jerkiest tree. I think this site has a polling function.

Or not.

BPJon

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
AFrame we can let it go and one day be friends and learn bonsai as friends and I will be in Cali on May 26-31 competing at the ibjjf gi world championships. I can win my medal then mabey you can show me some good black pine nuseries or you can try and beat me up.lol. Also smoke it means bullet proof but black pine will do also.lol. It's a name I got at the gym. So let's talk about bonsai and not stupid stuff. I said I went a little over board but I see what you wrote as jerk move as I look at tree I don't like and don't comment. Read my first post it was about the price for the tree and I think that price was very good for that tree. So here is the address I will be there all week

1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach
CA
United States
I am serious about you showing me some good nurseries I can buy a few trees from, or go there to meet behind the bleachers.lol anyways I really will not address this stupidity any longer.

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hell ya let's roll!
Muranka Nursery and House of Bonsai are the only ones I know of in central/southern CA; I'm sure there's many others in LA.
Meeting at a bonsai nursery to go a couple rounds would be a great story.
Look out for the Kaijin guys, Luke Rockhold started BJJ with Garth Taylor many years ago, he's the owner and a former world champ. I'll ask 'em to get your autograph after you get that medal.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also smoke it means bullet proof but black pine will do also.lol. It's a name I got at the gym.

As I read this I was reminded of the scene in an Indiana Jones movie where the guy squares off with Indy twirling his swords, and Indy just pulls a pistol out of his belt and shoots him dead. Bullet proof, sorry I spelled your name wrong but I couldn't bring myself to spell it that way......

I don't care who you are , thats funny.

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
was that in the last crusade or the lost arc?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lost arc

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BPJon

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yes for sure Muranaka is one I def want to go to. That medal is important but really only at black belt every other belt color gets forgotten. I'm still 1 belt away from black but my brother just got his brown his next belt is black and my other brother is a purple belt like myself. Anyways I don't know the other place but Muranaka is a go for sure. I train with Roberto "cyborg" abreau who just won the adcc absolute which is the biggest grappling tournament in the world. My other friend and coach is Vagner Rocha who is in the UFC but hasn't produced so well yet. He lost his first fight to Cowboy cerrone but it went all 3 rounds a few years ago I was his main Muay Thai sparring partner for that. I low kicked the whole camp and told him that is going to happen in the fight and it did. I really thought we worked that enough but it wasn't his night. Either way that Indi movie moment was funny for sure. Smoke I see you have been to Muranaka does he have bigger size trees or is it all small ones like the stuff on eBay? I really want a large pine or two. Also aframe dude I would be happy to even place with a medal man that is the toughest tournament in the BJJ world. Heck I take the gold and I will be super happy for sure. So I will send you my number so we can tree hunt that weekend. Do you live close to that area? Thanks

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Garth won the title with a purple belt...
After I regain consciousness from getting choked out behind the bleachers I'm not sure i'll have enough to go tree hunting. Looks like this might have turned into a pillow fight.
I don't live anywhere near LA; I'm about 7 hours north. But the kaijin guys are no joke, maybe you'll be up here to train some day and we'll actually go to the mat. I trained at Claudio Franca, but fell off after my son was born 2 years ago.
You said your one belt away from black but your have your purple belt, how does that work?
good luck in the tourney, unless your up against one of my SC boys, then I hope its lights out.
does you Gi have a bonsai on it, like in the Karate Kid? mine would.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I been to Jenny Craig does that count?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Muranaka Bonsai Nursery. A great place. How much you want to spend on a pine? Muranaka does not have large pines to speak of, but does have some in the 12 to 14 inch tall range. Trunks will be about 1 to 1.25 inch across around $200.00 to $300.00. Not alot but some, like around ten or twelve. There some things in the ground that may work but this is not the time to dig them and you would have to prepare with George now for next year, maybe he could ship if you seen something in the ground. Big pines with trunks around 2 to 3 inches or larger are going to bring good money, close to a thousand. Not alot in the ground anymore either. George doesn't have enough time left to do what his father did 30 years ago.

California is a huge place. Not exactly a place to be driving looking for a tree. You could drive for a month in this state, never cross the same road twice and never see a good pine. You have to know someone to take you, but you have to have a budget and be willing to share it or its just a waste of time.

BPJon

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I was going to say 2 belts buts it's really one belt when you think of it. Next is brown then black so 1 belt away. Yea you live super far in north Cali there are some serious good schools. Ryan Gracie, you have Caio Terra's school and Cesar Gracie's as well. Down south Cali you have the more BJJ oriented schools like atos they are pretty much too of the tournament teams list besides alliance and Gracie barra. Yea for sure man we can hit the mats if I make it to north Cali one day. Haha a bonsai patch man that's a good idea I'll get one soon. You should go back and introduce your son to BJJ it makes them learn how take a beating as well as receive one. It's a great way to build confidence so he can use that in other areas of life. Well Mabey next time we can tree hunt.

BPJon

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thanks for that reply smoke the budget right now is about $1000 for a large pine for sure far from done for that amount but large tall and def a thick trunk. Yea I'm going to get in touch with George about going there at least while I'm in Cali. If I do see something in the ground mabey I can pay him upfront and he can send it in the late winter early spring of next year. I don't mind waiting for a good tree. Heck we spend our lives waiting for the tree anyways.lol I also understand about going with someone who knows where to go but this is not one of those trips it would have to be another time. Muranaka is probably the only place I will have time to visit. Thanks again smoke

Top Bottom