JBP cutting success

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
I decided to up pot my cuttings into a tall container with coarse perlite. One of the cuttings had loads of roots at least 10cm (4”) long already, the other following closely behind. I’ve moved them to full sun on my pine bench. The strongest cutting is showing signs of new growth and the roots have reaches the bottom of the tall pot already!
The third cutting hasn’t rooted at all and probably won’t. I’m pretty happy with 2 out of 3.

I plan on starting a ROR and an exposed root project with the 2 next season, hence moving them to the taller container with coarse soil.

5268366C-03EA-4383-8B65-C3F539EE69B3.jpeg8FDE07D7-69CF-4231-8F2A-32E4852DD6F9.jpegF81CC6E5-F4B9-4E66-814B-A8D1A860E5AD.jpeg

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Excellent progress! That seems like a lot of roots in a short period of time. Hope to see new candles extending this season.

Things are looking positive at this end as well. JWP " Arakawa" cuttings are progressing. The former small tight red buds have swollen and are extending and turning green. This is approximately eight weeks after striking the cuttings. First four weeks were cold stratification, so four weeks after planting in the tray with heat mat under the tray! So far all the cuttings are showing signs of bud swelling and pre candle growth.
Frank have you considered trying to air layer . One would think a vigorous sacrificial branch or apex in the grow bed . Should have a higher success rate . Based on time it can be alive to make roots . I don’t have JWP
But you have to admit if it was successful. Opens up a lot more possibility . All I have ever seen here was poor grafted trees . Even they are rare to find and over priced . . I have heard that it is done in Japan . I have seen a imported dwarf multi trunk that the owner was told was layered worl as it’s origin but I don’t know anyone that has tried . Like I said success would open possibilities

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Frank have you considered trying to air layer . One would think a vigorous sacrificial branch or apex in the grow bed . Should have a higher success rate . Based on time it can be alive to make roots . I don’t have JWP
But you have to admit if it was successful. Opens up a lot more possibility . All I have ever seen here was poor grafted trees . Even they are rare to find and over priced . . I have heard that it is done in Japan . I have seen a imported dwarf multi trunk that the owner was told was layered worl as it’s origin but I don’t know anyone that has tried . Like I said success would open possibilities
The air layers I have tried on JWP " Arakawa" so far have been unsuccessful ( five out of five) But I have not tried them on the young shoots which is what is done in Japan. I tried separating the dwarf JWP from the grafted root stock.
However the JWP cuttings are still showing promise with new buds extended, then stalled, new needles now turning green and standing away from the candles. I am pretty sure the reserves are used up by now and they must be taking in water and nutrients through roots. One that I checked had tiny hair roots only at this stage so I am leaving the rest before checking any further. Not confident that they would survive disturbance at this stage. Definitely less vigorous and slower than JBP.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The air layers I have tried on JWP " Arakawa" so far have been unsuccessful ( five out of five) But I have not tried them on the young shoots which is what is done in Japan. I tried separating the dwarf JWP from the grafted root stock.
However the JWP cuttings are still showing promise with new buds extended, then stalled, new needles now turning green and standing away from the candles. I am pretty sure the reserves are used up by now and they must be taking in water and nutrients through roots. One that I checked had tiny hair roots only at this stage so I am leaving the rest before checking any further. Not confident that they would survive disturbance at this stage. Definitely less vigorous and slower than JBP.
Unfortunately your answer is what I was expecting . But glad you tried and shared thanks . Hope your cuttings work out . Looking kind of bleak here . Even for good nursery stock any species . I can’t even get composted pine. Bark locally this year have to drive 2 hours for un known product . Everything is cedar mulch pick your dyed colour .

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Unfortunately your answer is what I was expecting . But glad you tried and shared thanks . Hope your cuttings work out . Looking kind of bleak here . Even for good nursery stock any species . I can’t even get composted pine. Bark locally this year have to drive 2 hours for un known product . Everything is cedar mulch pick your dyed colour .
Have you contacted orchid hobby supply companies for bark? The small size product they produce is excellent for Bonsai, seems costly but is already sized and very little waste compared to landscape products.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you contacted orchid hobby supply companies for bark? The small size product they produce is excellent for Bonsai, seems costly but is already sized and very little waste compared to landscape products.
I can get pine closer in bulk . I am a ford master technician for a living . Covid created a pick up truck shortage . So I sold mine to a customer in the fall . 🤷‍♂️ So I’ll make the trip for the bagged stuff . Saturday got to get potting . Plus the wife wants to go there shopping 🛍 . So far I failed to mention the speciality conifer nursery near there 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Top Bottom