JBP Cuttings - Stalled, help!

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My JBP seedling cuttings have been a bit up and down in health, but some are finally rooting. However, quite a few either have the beginnings of roots or new roots that seem to have stopped growing.

Most of these roots are above ground - the stems withered/rotted either from the clonex gel I used or possibly from being in the growing media & closed propagator so long.

So, the roots are popping but they've just stopped growing or moving, what can I do to get them extending? I'm concerned because I've started to see mould on needles in a couple of cases, I don't want to spray them with anti fungal because I'm worried it'll be bad for the roots, and I don't want to open the propagators to increase air circulation in case the roots/root buds dry out. What do I do?

It seems like I'm close to having some great seedlings but I could lose them at this critical stage. Please help!

5C5C9279-9DC3-43C6-9D87-58A5BF00C6D8_1_201_a.jpegC60FFD79-2911-49F2-8F02-3F5E24C41045_1_201_a.jpeg2A9E2622-760D-451D-BA6C-4086D0BD53A1_1_201_a.jpeg04CA3E74-3F8F-4D0B-9EFF-F64E09948B15_1_201_a.jpeg

Attachments

• 82A70CA9-4356-4DCC-886B-2B987CE07A79_1_201_a.jpeg
    82A70CA9-4356-4DCC-886B-2B987CE07A79_1_201_a.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 3

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Wow. Aerial roots on pines! High humidity!
I have occasionally wondered if too strong hormone can damage soft stems but really high moisture levels definitely causes stems to rot underground. Yours are really determined to survive. I have not seen roots above soil level in any of mine.
Fungicide should not inhibit roots. If you have fungal issues use fungicide before the fungal infection kills them off.
Stalled growth is likely to be a factor of the plants having to throw resources at new roots now. They will take off again when/if those roots get going properly and can supply nutrients.
I would also suggest that the humidity is way too high. Pines generally like it a bit drier. Your propagators should have vents and i would try opening them at least partly. Best to gradually increase airflow every few days rather than a sudden shift to much lower moisture.
If the only roots are above ground level I would consider replanting these so the roots are actually in the mix before reducing humidity. At this stage they will transplant no problem. Any deaths after transplant will almost certainly be from other factors.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Introducing a larger media around the base of the trunk could help, if it's needed at all.
With tweezers.

Also, if it's that humid, the soil may never dry beneath the surface so those lower roots may be dying, which might account for the near dessication.

If that's not why they have been hanging in the balance it may have just been the rerooting stage, and the balance is back in your favor, but that balance needs sun and air!

nice.

Sorce

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow. Aerial roots on pines! High humidity!
I have occasionally wondered if too strong hormone can damage soft stems but really high moisture levels definitely causes stems to rot underground. Yours are really determined to survive. I have not seen roots above soil level in any of mine.
Fungicide should not inhibit roots. If you have fungal issues use fungicide before the fungal infection kills them off.
Stalled growth is likely to be a factor of the plants having to throw resources at new roots now. They will take off again when/if those roots get going properly and can supply nutrients.
I would also suggest that the humidity is way too high. Pines generally like it a bit drier. Your propagators should have vents and i would try opening them at least partly. Best to gradually increase airflow every few days rather than a sudden shift to much lower moisture.
If the only roots are above ground level I would consider replanting these so the roots are actually in the mix before reducing humidity. At this stage they will transplant no problem. Any deaths after transplant will almost certainly be from other factors.

thanks, yeah, ive started to address the environmental issues. I was worried that reducing humidity would risk drying out the emerging roots, but with the bottom heat maybe that wasn't a big risk.

I've now got them in a tent with a fan & lids off, so hopefully they will get going again soon. Feels like I'm an icu nurse for pines, def need to improve methods for next batches..

win320

Mame
Reaction score
thanks, yeah, ive started to address the environmental issues. I was worried that reducing humidity would risk drying out the emerging roots, but with the bottom heat maybe that wasn't a big risk.

I've now got them in a tent with a fan & lids off, so hopefully they will get going again soon. Feels like I'Hi Jem an icu nurse for pines, def need to improve methods for next batches.

Hi Jeff,

Did you find out what was the problem and how did you solve it?

What is the bottom heat temperature are you maintaining?
Cheers!
Vin

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Vin,

It was a bit of a battle, I'm not sure i helped, more that JBP are very determined to survive!

Bottom heat was 26c. It was overly humid, so I reduced that by removing lids a bit day by day.

Roots extended enough for me to pot them on, so I did that and they just carried on growing. A lot of it was learning to be patient, it was my first time with seed indoors and root cutting. I lost two thirds of my cuttings that had root buds/callusing.

When I try again I'll try to get some dip n grow (not easy in uk), I would add a thin layer of peatmoss on top, not cut so short, be sure to use spray foliage clean after feeding, foliar sprays each week and keep rootzone clean with silver bullet or hydrogen peroxide. Fungus gnats wrecked my entire early scots pine crop :(
Other than that, try copying cmeg, his results are excellent. I still haven't succeeded in 2nd cuts like Mark Comstock!

Let me know if you succeed:)

win320

Mame
Reaction score
Hi Vin,

It was a bit of a battle, I'm not sure i helped, more that JBP are very determined to survive!

Bottom heat was 26c. It was overly humid, so I reduced that by removing lids a bit day by day.

Roots extended enough for me to pot them on, so I did that and they just carried on growing. A lot of it was learning to be patient, it was my first time with seed indoors and root cutting. I lost two thirds of my cuttings that had root buds/callusing.

When I try again I'll try to get some dip n grow (not easy in uk), I would add a thin layer of peatmoss on top, not cut so short, be sure to use spray foliage clean after feeding, foliar sprays each week and keep rootzone clean with silver bullet or hydrogen peroxide. Fungus gnats wrecked my entire early scots pine crop :(
Other than that, try copying cmeg, his results are excellent. I still haven't succeeded in 2nd cuts like Mark Comstock!

Let me know if you succeed:)
That's great Jeff, I have started experimenting with seeds: Atlantic Cedar, JBP and Scots pine...
Media: Milled sphagnum moss
Bottom heat: 26C
I am using mini propagator.

Seeds have started germinating. Let's see.

what do you use as growing media for seeds?
Also for feeding what do you use (sorry I am completely new to this field).

Cheers!
Vin

Top Bottom