JBP Designs for seedlings

APEX

Seedling
Reaction score
I am growing about 200 Black Pines; (5 months old now) I figured I would share some of my ideas to shape them into when they are ready. the tree pic is about 18 months old.

Attachments

• IMG_7431 (1).jpeg
    IMG_7431 (1).jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_7432.jpeg
    IMG_7432.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_7337.jpeg
    IMG_7337.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 110

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love these sketches and am excited to follow along in your progress!

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great variety in your sketches. I don't know how big you want to make them, consider leaving enough room for the thickness of roots/trunks/branches passing each other. I use a short stick with markings and hold it across the trunk, trying to visualise the mature trunk. Also, tight turns can induce reverse taper, someone had an example here a little while ago.

APEX

Seedling
Reaction score
Great variety in your sketches. I don't know how big you want to make them, consider leaving enough room for the thickness of roots/trunks/branches passing each other. I use a short stick with markings and hold it across the trunk, trying to visualise the mature trunk. Also, tight turns can induce reverse taper, someone had an example here a little while ago.
Thanks, so far, I am aiming for small trees, but I also found you can loosen the bends a little as you go if you wanted a bigger tree. also, I have seen many where the trunk grows together giving it a nice look. I will experiment as I go I guess lol

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you can keep this up for 10 years, you will have awesome materials to work on and probably make some money to support your bonsai hobby. Will check back in 10 years.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
200? Lol well you have lots of room for variety and different shapes
Twist some of em up

APEX

Seedling
Reaction score
200? Lol well you have lots of room for variety and different shapes
Twist some of em up
yes at least 200, there is over 50 just in this one container. I have been starting to wire some of the larger ones .

Attachments

• IMG_7436.jpeg
    IMG_7436.jpeg
    260.9 KB · Views: 53

APEX

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks, so far, I am aiming for small trees, but I also found you can loosen the bends a little as you go if you wanted a bigger tree. also, I have seen many where the trunk grows together giving it a nice look. I will experiment as I go I guess lol
Here is one that is less tight

Attachments

• IMG_7449.jpeg
    IMG_7449.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 52
Top Bottom