JBP- Discussing possible interventions during 2020

Heitor Silva

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hello guys! It's been a while since I last took of this fantastic forum! Today, I'm searching for some regarding this Pinus thunbergii I've acquired 10 months ago.
HISTORY: this kuromatsu has been nurtured for approx. 6 six years from a seed. Bought in Sorocaba 10 months ago. Had a really worrysome scale problem, which has thankfully been solved last year. Went through a candle cut last summer (by january 24th here in Brazil) and let alone since today. I am mostly using organic fertilizer ( "Ecoadubo", some fine chicken poop product, NPK approx 5-8-2), and misting at least once a week.
PLAN: This plant is sufficient in dimensions for me. I had a workshop with a bonsai teacher (the one who sold me) and, according to him, it would be possible to wire it, start removing its sacrifice branch and put it into a small container.
Doubt: Is it ok to do so many interventions in a pine- wiring, sacrifice branch cut and repotting? Basically, I am a noob with this species, and wouldn't want to lose such a tree for a careless mistake. That's the guidance of the teacher. However, I would like to know some more perspectives from you guys, as they could either encourage or deflate such plan. If it's ok to do so, is there anything I could do so as to optimize this tree's recovery? If unfeasible, then, I was planning to planning to start sacrifice branch removal (during our coldest winters, approx. 75% its length) and simply wire the plant so as to establish its pads.
Thank you, stay safe!
WhatsApp Image 2020-04-11 at 10.03.12 (3).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-04-11 at 10.03.12 (3).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-04-11 at 10.03.12 (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-04-11 at 10.03.12 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-04-11 at 10.03.12.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Here I would remove the sacrifice, wire and transplant in one operation with JBP that has been container grown. There are many who disagree and follow the one insult per season (or year?) school of pines.
If you are concerned about possible problems you should proceed slowly. Remove the sacrifice branch and style the tree now then assess the response and repot it later in the year.
I'm not sure of seasons or timing for bonsai in Brazil but you should have local guidance on best time of year for all those operations.

The decandling has not reduced needle length much. To be effective decandling needs to be applied as part of a package which included pulling needles, bud selection and fertilizing at the correct time. In warmer climates JBP can have 2 or more flushes of growth each year so they decandle or prune more than once each year.

Heitor Silva

Yamadori
Reaction score
Here I would remove the sacrifice, wire and transplant in one operation with JBP that has been container grown. There are many who disagree and follow the one insult per season (or year?) school of pines.
If you are concerned about possible problems you should proceed slowly. Remove the sacrifice branch and style the tree now then assess the response and repot it later in the year.
I'm not sure of seasons or timing for bonsai in Brazil but you should have local guidance on best time of year for all those operations.

The decandling has not reduced needle length much. To be effective decandling needs to be applied as part of a package which included pulling needles, bud selection and fertilizing at the correct time. In warmer climates JBP can have 2 or more flushes of growth each year so they decandle or prune more than once each year.
Shibui, thanks for such a quick and comprehensive response. As matter of fact, needle pulling hasn't been made at all, and I shall, by right now, take care of such intervention. Didn't know about the multiple flush thing, which makes much sense in such a warm climate. I will follow the "intervene-wait" plan so as to see how it responds before repotting takes place. Thanks!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it weren't for the scale I'd say go for it.

But I see no reason to go fast.

Needle pulling....
That lowest branch looks to be on the verge of losing the race, it should be the fattest.
I think using energy or "an insult" on needle pulling to balance branch energy is your best move.

Nice material!

Sorce

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you know the species of JBP this tree is?
From the photos, it looks like it my be 'thunderhead' which tends to have longer needles. It is usually not a great candidate for bonsai for this reason.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello guys! It's been a while since I last took of this fantastic forum! Today, I'm searching for some regarding this Pinus thunbergii I've acquired 10 months ago.
HISTORY: this kuromatsu has been nurtured for approx. 6 six years from a seed. Bought in Sorocaba 10 months ago. Had a really worrysome scale problem, which has thankfully been solved last year. Went through a candle cut last summer (by january 24th here in Brazil) and let alone since today. I am mostly using organic fertilizer ( "Ecoadubo", some fine chicken poop product, NPK approx 5-8-2), and misting at least once a week.
PLAN: This plant is sufficient in dimensions for me. I had a workshop with a bonsai teacher (the one who sold me) and, according to him, it would be possible to wire it, start removing its sacrifice branch and put it into a small container.
Doubt: Is it ok to do so many interventions in a pine- wiring, sacrifice branch cut and repotting? Basically, I am a noob with this species, and wouldn't want to lose such a tree for a careless mistake. That's the guidance of the teacher. However, I would like to know some more perspectives from you guys, as they could either encourage or deflate such plan. If it's ok to do so, is there anything I could do so as to optimize this tree's recovery? If unfeasible, then, I was planning to planning to start sacrifice branch removal (during our coldest winters, approx. 75% its length) and simply wire the plant so as to establish its pads.
Thank you, stay safe!
View attachment 299615View attachment 299616View attachment 299617View attachment 299618View attachment 299619
There is one aspect to this program that would have me inclined to separate the interventions!
The manner in which tis particular tree has been grown has allowed and encouraged root growth in the lower container. likely a considerable portion of the root mass that will not fit in the smaller pot.
For that reason alone I would do the repot alone, retaining the sacrifice leader and all other foliage to fuel the root recovery.
This will also allow for better healing where the sacrifice leader is removed when that happens later. The tree has many birthdays to go before substantial refinement.
Due to the fact that the lower portion is a small part of the overall foliage, I would wire it open and reduce a few needles to allow light into the interior and protect any new buds. That amount of work will not affect the repot, but will help to set the tree up for future work. Once again though because of the particular growth process with the double container and the substantial difference in size between the two containers, expect a longer root recovery.

Heitor Silva

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses.
After considering the various aspects of 2020's interventions, I decided to do the following this year: autumm needle plucking (as an emergencial task so as to balance tree's development), conserving most of the first branch's needles. This winter, which Is to come in 1,5 months, I will do the sacrifice branch removal. In case the tree responds vigorously in spring, I will do the candle cut so as to balance upcoming growth, and the Mekiri during summer. Will let the repot to 2021, so as not to risk this plant's thriving odds.
Thanks!

Top Bottom