JBP Help

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi everyone - I know there are countless threads on needle tip browning on JBP, but this is my first one and I'd love to have the community's help with this tree. It is new to me - around a month - and has been slowly browning at the tips ever since I got it, especially on the lower branches. I've attached some photos for you to see and am wondering if this is just part of the needle recycling process or if I have something else going on. The tree is in a mix of akadama, calsine clay, with a little river sand and cactus soil mixed. Any thoughts or tips appreciated. I am in Denver, COIMG_0764.jpgIMG_0765.jpgIMG_0766.jpg

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks an awful lot like a fungal disease, my first guess would be dothistroma, but it could be a different one. Needle blights are very common, wherever in the world it seems. If it is, or the concensus says it is likely I would quarantine it. Lots of threads here on it, I'm happy to share what seems to have worked for me this last season.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The new needles look fine and healthy, cut off the brown tips that are damaged. Focus on consistent watering technique, let the soil dry out until the top layer is no longer moist, say the top 3/4 inch to I inch deep. The water thoroughly until water runs out the bottom. Repeat. Only water when it has dried out enough that it needs watering.
I see no sign of fungal infection on the needles. The needles that are damaged could be from a variety of causes including inconsistent watering!

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am a bit paranoid about needlecast. Those all look like this seasons needles, are there two flushes? Hard to tell. What were the old needles like? Also, new plant to OP set off alarm bells. There do appear to be bands in the middle of some of the needles, but Frank has way more experience than me, so I would follow his advice.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am a bit paranoid about needlecast. Those all look like this seasons needles, are there two flushes? Hard to tell. What were the old needles like? Also, new plant to OP set off alarm bells. There do appear to be bands in the middle of some of the needles, but Frank has way more experience than me, so I would follow his advice.
This is a very young tree that is exhibiting some stress and looks like it is weaker. Smaller new buds have struggled. Typical results when attempting to develop without retaining enough branching and foliage to keep the tree vigorous. The only course of action at this point is to fine tune daily care and get the tree healthier. A healthy JBP will have two, three or even four flushes in a long growing season.
When one chooses to reduce branching and foliage they run the risk of weakening the tree too much, at that point insects and disease can have a negative impact. De-candling early in development can have adverse growth effects as well. The tree's health looks like it is being worked to much too early in development. If it was ready for reduction in branching and foliage there would be more evidence off substantial base, flare and other characteristics of maturity!
If the tree were in my yard I would grow it out for at least three or four years and focus on keeping it healthy! I would probably explore the root base this coming spring to ensure it has the best chance of recovery to good health before proceeding in development.
If I knew the complete history of work done and when then I could put forth a more detailed plan.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very much appreciate all the replies. The tree was slip potted around 3 to 4 weeks ago so probably is stressed. I haven’t done anything to the tree other than move it from a small container to the larger one without messing with any of the roots. Only reason I did that was too keep it from toppling over in its original tiny pot.
id wondered about cutting some of the browning tips but was worried that it wouldn’t leave many on the tree in certain areas. I think I’ll just be easy with it to try and destress. Certainly not in a hurry to do anything right now. Just want health and growth
appreciate the tips on watering as well. Will try and let it dry out a little more before next watering.

Top Bottom