JBP in development

Necrosis

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey everyone. I have a young JBP in development currently. I’m trying to thicken the trunk and get it to produce back buds on the trunk. I’ve plucked some needles which looking back was probably a mistake. I have noticed about 6 vigorous buds near the apex that I’m not sure what to do with. I don’t want to cause inverse taper but I want it to be strong so it will back bud. Should I remove 4 of the buds and just have 2? Should I let them form candles and pinch? Or should I let them grow all summer and then cut them to 2 prior to the fall? Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• B265CC9C-3FCE-4F10-884D-ABDE8DC340DF.jpeg
    B265CC9C-3FCE-4F10-884D-ABDE8DC340DF.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: T&N

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Depends on what you want.
That is a young seedling.
If you want to keep it pretty much the size it is now, yes, needle removal & decandling. If you want the trunk to be double or more in diameter, stop removing needles and stop decandling.

Inverse taper is nothing to worry about if the plan includes doubling the diameter of the trunk. It is an issue only when you get close to the "finish size". When you are about 75% of the finished size (diameter) then it is time to begin with controlling growth to correct any inverse taper. Don't worry on very young trees.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
At this stage I would not worry about the top part of this tree. let it grow as much as it wants. Does not matter about reverse taper up there because I really doubt that will be part of your future bonsai.
If it gets strong and back buds on the trunk you can eventually cut back to one of those buds for a new apex which will remove any reverse taper at that whorl of candles.
If you don't get back buds on the trunk one of those 2 small branches near the base will be your bonsai. Developing bonsai seems to be a lot of cutting and regrowing.

Review this tree in a couple of years and see if it needs reduction pruning then.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You are right, needle plucking is not something you should be doing right now.

The basic routine is that you want the top to grow long and tall to make the trunk thick, all the while, keeping those branches near the ground alive. The key is that those low branches get don't get shaded by the stuff up above. At this point, I would eliminate all but the strong central bud up top (for what should now be obvious reasons). Next year you may want to keep the entire whorl as it will be far enough up in the air that you can position all that foliage so that it doesn't shade the little stuff down low. The more foliage there is, the faster the thickening - it is that simple.

Once the trunk near the ground has reached the thickness you want, you will lop off all the trunk above one of those low branches and it will become your new sacrifice - you will maybe use a bit of wire to assure that its buds are the highest of all. Now, the principle involved is that the lowest part of the trunk will not thicken significantly until this new leader is almost the same thickness. So, if you want taper, you'll similarly eliminate this sacrifice once its a touch thinner. Rinse and repeat until you've built a tree.

There are lots of variations on this theme. You can wire stems/trunks and bend them into shapes you want. If you wanted to make a literati of it, for example, you would not be interested in thickening, so you would get rid of the low branches and all but one bud and you would wire and bend the trunk into a shape you find interesting. But, if you wanted abrupt movement, just above the ground level, you would chop the trunk now and keep one of those lower branches which you would let grow until it was the same thickness (since you don't want taper in a literati). Of course, this could also be the beginning for a more conventional tree. Still, same routine, same principles.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Truth truth....

It's unlikely, but that needle plucking could have saved the low stuff. It certainly drove home the point to that low foliage....you must survive!

Now, stop!

I'd want all them buds to push this year. Seems you have enough stem to move them from shading your low.

What's up with that one deadish left branch?
Seems to want the knife. Pests?
It makes me uncomfortable.

Sorce

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That’s not actually all bad. The branches emerging from the trunk at the bottom are what you’ll develop the entire tree from, while the current trunk should be viewed as a sacrifice branch. With JBP, it’s ok to pull lower needles on sacrifice branches to prevent shading out the final branches. Here are a couple articles to demonstrate identifying and treating sacrifice vs. final branches while developing JBP bonsai.

Necrosis

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Truth truth....

It's unlikely, but that needle plucking could have saved the low stuff. It certainly drove home the point to that low foliage....you must survive!

Now, stop!

I'd want all them buds to push this year. Seems you have enough stem to move them from shading your low.

What's up with that one deadish left branch?
Seems to want the knife. Pests?
It makes me uncomfortable.

Sorce

Some needles got covered with soil. I’ll have to pluck the dead ones.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That’s not actually all bad. The branches emerging from the trunk at the bottom are what you’ll develop the entire tree from, while the current trunk should be viewed as a sacrifice branch. With JBP, it’s ok to pull lower needles on sacrifice branches to prevent shading out the final branches. Here are a couple articles to demonstrate identifying and treating sacrifice vs. final branches while developing JBP bonsai.

You still got this tree? Any updates, looks like it was a great start!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
pluck the dead ones.

The easiest way to see problems is on a clean tree.
Leaving it is like a blindfold.

This is a swell start!

Unnecessary Worry turning into something grand!

🧘

Stay the course!

Sorce

Top Bottom