JBP in North America

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
Since it was brought up recently, I thought I would start a separate thread for others to post pictures and opinions of those in North American that are good with Japanese Black Pine.

I have lots of pictures of Boon and his work. I've seen Kathy Shaner's work at the Collection North and a number of different conventions. I've only seen Kenji Miyata's work once, at Rendezvous several years ago. And, I'm embarrassed to say I'm unfamiliar with Katsumi Kinoshita, but look forward to seeing some pictures of his work.

Who are others across the country? Let's see their work! Looking forward to seeing the replies.

Attachments

• Boon.jpg
    Boon.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 240
  • Kathy.jpg
    Kathy.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 228

JRob

Seedling
Reaction score
Michael Hagedorn while apprenticing in Japan had a JBP Kokufu prize winner in show #80 that he worked on. A picture can be found on his website Crataegus Bonsai using the search capability if you do not have the Kokufu 80 book.

JRob

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Kathy Shaner is outstanding.

Also, our own Gary Wood is quite talented with the pines too; growing, styling, propagating and grafting.

I think he could graft corkbark JBP to fence posts and they'd take in a month :D:D:D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Daniel Robinson....

These are some I've posted before... but shown here for the sake of this thread.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Attachments

• DRobinsonJBPsm3.jpg
    DRobinsonJBPsm3.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 116
  • TwintrunkKoreanBPsm3.jpg
    TwintrunkKoreanBPsm3.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 109

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
The Bonsaismiths, Howard and Sylvia in Dallas, they're SOB's

keep it green,
Harry

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Brent Walston, his articles are the stuff that I think a lot of American JBPs are made from.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Daniel Robinson....

These are some I've posted before... but shown here for the sake of this thread.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

A glazed pot AND no deadwood...is the end near??? ;-)

Very nice trees...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A glazed pot AND no deadwood...is the end near??? ;-)

Very nice trees...

"Little Blue"... is one of my babies at the garden... I restyled it and picked a new front. There is actually deadwood in the tree... it's just something like a jewel to find when you are really looking at it. The wonderful thing about deadwood is that one can appreciate it when it is obvious, and equally when it is not. :D

And Daniel usually asks me what to do about pots anymore... though if he gets a wild hair about something, make no mistake, it'll be put into whatever pot he loves for it. lol Sometimes I just have to smile, say my piece, and just let him have a good time. :p

V

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
All good! My wife and I visited Elandan Gardens back in '96 when we were visiting my father-in-law who lived in Gig Harbor. Amazing gardens and great trees; love the area. I'd go back in a second; problem is, we'd probably never leave the PNW again :eek:

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I saw some of Steve Pilacik's work two weeks ago in Washington DC. He had some really nice trees there. He is also in NC where i am. I was hoping to visit his nursery and get some Black Pines. What are you saying Harry?

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Digger...

I think what Harry is expressing is the surprise one feels when being told he has the rep of being the King of American BLack Pine... especially when looking at his website. It might be sorely out of date... but it's not indicative of great pine styling or management. If you read the "both sides" thread in the Vendor section, you would understand the recent disappointment around his work and practices.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I saw some of Steve Pilacik's work two weeks ago in Washington DC. He had some really nice trees there. He is also in NC where i am. I was hoping to visit his nursery and get some Black Pines. What are you saying Harry?

Just borrow or buy his video and you will see for yourself. Did you happen to take any pictures of his trees ?
Just so I know if we're on the same page, click on this link, and tell if you consider the picture in the upper right hand corner is a good JBP ?

http://www.matsumomiji.com/services.htm

keep it green,
Harry

Last edited:
Top Bottom