JBP&JWP In Orlando FL?

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
So I found out I am moving to Orlando FL in December due to work. Is it going to warm to keep those Japanese pines over there? It only gets down to below 60F for a month or so every year and I worry the trees can’t get enough dormant/rest in the “winter”…

casun

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
In terms of the heat, JBP will be fine. I’m not very familiar with JWP but I’m sure someone else we be along shortly to answer that question.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
In terms of the heat, JBP will be fine. I’m not very familiar with JWP but I’m sure someone else we be along shortly to answer that question.
Thanks. I am not too concerned about the heat. I am more worried about the dormant period required for the tree to regain&store energy. I am not sure if the winter will be cold and long enough down there.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
JBP do well throughout the southeast, including much of Florida. JWP do well in the metro Atlanta area, but I suspect we're at the southern limit for their growing well because we do see repeated and frequent winter temps at or below freezing for several months. Orlando would be a definitive no-go for them.

Top Bottom