JBP Late to Candle

camikins

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,

I have a JBP. Looks healthy enough, but it's not really started to candle yet. I'm in the pacific northwest (Vancouver Island).

Is this odd? Or are others experiencing late candling this year? It's the 1st half of May, and just a few tiny stubs of candles (a few mm long) can be seen).

PS I'll try to post a pic later.

Thanks.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How old is the tree...

How long have you had it...

When was it last repotted...

What condition are the existing needles in...

All of my two needle pine are well on their way to pushing needles. The candles have extended a lot. I'm a little south of you, but depending on where you are on the island, your climate isn't too different than mine. If the tree is stressed sometimes it will not push candles... So a little more tree and care history would help, as well as photos of course.

If the tree was repotted and something was not right about that process it could delay doing anything for some time. You'll only need to really worry if the candles die back entirely. Arrested development is one thing... candle die back would be indicative of very grave problems.

Candle development also takes a great deal of energy... which is why the history of it's keeping will give clues to the problem.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

camikins

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the response. Yes, our climates are likely the same (or pretty close).
I got the tree from someone recently, and don't know it's history. I received it at a club event, and the owner wasn't there, so I couldn't really get much history. Hopefully in the coming months I'll be able to chat with her to get some details.

In addition to the candles being slow, the tips of some needles are brown. I'm not sure if she (previous owner) sheared with scissors causing the marks, or if the tree perhaps has some sort of needle cast? Some parts seem very healthy, while others are brown with dark tips.

I hope to just give it lots of rest this year, do nothing with it, except give it a good amount of sun, and some occassional food.

Here are some pics.

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC03593 (Small)..JPG
    DSC03593 (Small)..JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC03594 (Small)..JPG
    DSC03594 (Small)..JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC03595 (Small)..JPG
    DSC03595 (Small)..JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC03596 (Small)..JPG
    DSC03596 (Small)..JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC03597 (Small)..JPG
    DSC03597 (Small)..JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 172

camikins

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks very much for the reassuring words. Hopefully all is well! I'll keep an eye on it. I've posted some pics, which will hopefully appear shortly on here.:)

boon

Sapling
Reaction score
the tree is weak. do not decandle until it is strong. it may take a few years.
it is very leggy. graft interior branch. then cut the long leggy branches off to make it compact.
Boon
www.bonsaiboon.com
www.bayislandbonsai.com

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Camikins, in case you didn't know - Boon knows his JBP's, work on the trees health only, stay away from the temptation of working on it till it's healthy.

camikins

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I know Boon's work. Very nice indeed. I'll do as suggested. This year, and until I see good vigor and all around health, I'll simply apply TLC, and let the tree recover.

Following that, I'll begin to work on the compositional aspects.

Should I withhold fertilizing for the remainder of this year? I generally use an organic liquid fertilizer (rain grow) on my bonsai.

I've also got the JBP in full sun (I'm in the southwest tip of Canada, on Vancouver Island). Ave daily temps are currently high teens celcius, with summer highs in mid to high 20's.

Thanks!

Cam.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Camikins, It looks like the needles have been cut and because of this the tips will turn brown. Your tree was probably decandled 100% last year. Look at one of my threads from last summer. I had a similar situation and the tree is full of candles today. If it was decandled completely last year then thats all you may get are buds that probably won't form candles this year. They should next year if the tree is healthy - at least that has been my experience.

DaveV.

boon

Sapling
Reaction score
Camikins, in case you didn't know - Boon knows his JBP's, work on the trees health only, stay away from the temptation of working on it till it's healthy.

thank you Bill,

boon

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I know Boon's work. Very nice indeed. I'll do as suggested. This year, and until I see good vigor and all around health, I'll simply apply TLC, and let the tree recover.

Following that, I'll begin to work on the compositional aspects.

Should I withhold fertilizing for the remainder of this year? I generally use an organic liquid fertilizer (rain grow) on my bonsai.

I've also got the JBP in full sun (I'm in the southwest tip of Canada, on Vancouver Island). Ave daily temps are currently high teens celcius, with summer highs in mid to high 20's.

Thanks!

Cam.

what kind of soil do you use? one the candles start to grow, you can give it a light dose of fertilizer.
use light solution weekly. i mainly use fish emulsion. and sometimes rotate with miracle grow and dyna grow. until the end of growing season.

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Boon,

I have a pine in a similar state also. Would you recommend tenting (clear plastic)it to increase humidity and keeping it in light shade (socal) or keeping it in full sun with no tent?

Many thanks

boon

Sapling
Reaction score
Boon,

I have a pine in a similar state also. Would you recommend tenting (clear plastic)it to increase humidity and keeping it in light shade (socal) or keeping it in full sun with no tent?

Many thanks

Ian,
do you have shade cloth. put it under 30% shade cloths (all day filtered sun) and mist it several times a day. keep it in a good ventilation area. fertilize lightly until it grows strong. then add more fertilizer.
take care,

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi Boon,

It is under shade cloth but in a plastic tent also, so you think its better just under the shade cloth and misted? It's a nice tree so I don't want to loose it. Here is a pic from last year

Attachments

• black pine.jpg
    black pine.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 133

boon

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi Boon,

It is under shade cloth but in a plastic tent also, so you think its better just under the shade cloth and misted? It's a nice tree so I don't want to loose it. Here is a pic from last year

it looks like soil problem. it is the most common problem that i see.
have you reoptted it yet? how much soil do you remove and what kind of soil mix do you use?

i do not usually have to protect it too much. the key thing is to know how much soil and root can be removed. tie it well and use good soil. normally, after repotting, i leave all my tree out in the sun.
i think place it under shade cloth is sufficient.

from the pic, it looks like, it will take a couple years to get it back to health. then decandle after that.

for the others who has to keep the tree in the storage, then it has to be introduced into outside air slowly and has to be protected under shade cloth.

it is too late to repot now.

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I repotted this spring in lava/akadama/pumice mix with a layer of Sphagnum on top. It has been out in full sun since, until 2 weeks ago I put it under shadecloth. I did remove around 1/3 of the soil to get it in a little smaller pot.

I'll try to get a new pic later.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I repotted this spring in lava/akadama/pumice mix with a layer of Sphagnum on top. It has been out in full sun since, until 2 weeks ago I put it under shadecloth. I did remove around 1/3 of the soil to get it in a little smaller pot.

I'll try to get a new pic later.
Hi Ian,
I'm using same soil mixture as yours. It's working well.
I'm curious. Why did you make a layer of sphagnum on the top? Why do you have to put it under shadecloth after it was in full sun for a while? Bonhe

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi Ian,
I'm using same soil mixture as yours. It's working well.
I'm curious. Why did you make a layer of sphagnum on the top? Why do you have to put it under shadecloth after it was in full sun for a while? Bonhe

Hi Bonhe,

I usually use sphagnum for a few weeks after repotting just to make sure nothing dries out too much. I put the pine in the shade because it has not really extended buds yet this year and there is some yellowing of last years needles.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bonhe,

I usually use sphagnum for a few weeks after repotting just to make sure nothing dries out too much. I put the pine in the shade because it has not really extended buds yet this year and there is some yellowing of last years needles.

Thank you Ian. Yellowing in the tip only or whole needle? Bonhe

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Whole needle I'm afraid.:(

Here is a crappy cell phone pic

Attachments

• blakc pine10.jpg
    blakc pine10.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whole needle I'm afraid.:(

Here is a crappy cell phone pic
Wow, it looks bad! I'm thinking it received excessive water! Did you check its soil condition? Might be due to the remained old soil? Bonhe

Top Bottom