JBP Learning Lesson

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cool beans Irene, looks like a lot of new growth/chances for branches and ramification.

Does the sunshine in this pix come from this morning or are you inside to escape the storm that was battering good ole Tejas this day.

Hope you didn't get slammed like I saw in the news this morning.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
And the last.
The rest is up to Chris.
Irene

The rest of what is up to me? LOL

Okay, Irene, start feeding this one heavily NOW, and by now I mean last week. Really load it up with organics. Is it in a collander? How long ago did you repot, and how were the roots? If it was repotted this spring, wait to fertilize for about 4-6 weeks and then start feeding a little more gradually. DO NOT remove candles until June some time, regardless of how long they get. I'm looking forward to how this one responds.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
The rest of what is up to me? LOL

Okay, Irene, start feeding this one heavily NOW, and by now I mean last week. Really load it up with organics. Is it in a collander? How long ago did you repot, and how were the roots? If it was repotted this spring, wait to fertilize for about 4-6 weeks and then start feeding a little more gradually. DO NOT remove candles until June some time, regardless of how long they get. I'm looking forward to how this one responds.

LOL Loud and clear Chris :D ...
I have been heavy ferting this one. All that was done was slip potting into the colander and the roots were fantastic! It never missed a beat!
Irene

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Cool beans Irene, looks like a lot of new growth/chances for branches and ramification.

Does the sunshine in this pix come from this morning or are you inside to escape the storm that was battering good ole Tejas this day.

Hope you didn't get slammed like I saw in the news this morning.

The sunshine was this morning....We got the nasty ash from Mexico at the same time as the heavy rain....Talk about cars needing a major wash after that dirty rain.....
Irene

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Chris do you need macro shots?
Irene

Bunjinent

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep this thread going Irene and Chris. I have some JBP that I will get photos of and will post. GREAT and TIMELY thread folks Keep it up!

Chris, is it ok to do the early needle job like this in the spring before candles start to push?

-Wm

Bunjinent

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This will be the third season I have had these JBP. The first photo is an Air-Layered Branch of another that I separated early last season. The second photo is a close up of the base to the first two branches. The third is a different tree. Last season I did the hard root pruning on the second tree (third photo) and let the roots grow on the layer in these colanders. That is why the vigor is not what it should be yet.
I have done some basic styling on both trees. I removed some branches I will never want (i.e. some branches from whorls that will cause reverse taper) and on the first tree, clipped the main terminal bud from last season on the second branch because I want to slow growth of the second branch as it is about the same girth as the first. I also left loads of smaller branches below the first branch to increase lower trunk girth. The second tree I left a sacrifice branch toward the bottom to aid in trunk girth. Secondary sacrifice branches have been left throughout the main branches of both trees for over-all vigor and growth of the tree and of the branches. Today, I fed everyone heavily with Fish Emulsion, Neptune's Seaweed, Bat Poop Tea, Epsom Salt, Liquid Chelated Iron, Chemical Root Stim and a few drops per gallon of Miracle Grow. lets watch them develop this season together with your trees...
Perfect thread. This is the only thread I have subscribed to in three sites. :cool:

-Wm

Oh, both trees are about 10-11 years old. Based on the ring count of the Air-Layer I cut off last year.
http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/f15/jbp-air-layer-23208.html

Attachments

• DSC01922a.jpg
    DSC01922a.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC01923a.jpg
    DSC01923a.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC01924a.jpg
    DSC01924a.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited: