JBP Literati

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Don't you think that you should remove the third branch on the bottom left branch? They all origionate from the same place and should be reduced to just two right?
Hmmm, I'm not really sure which branch you're referring to. As far as reducing branchlets from 3 to 2, generally, I'd say you're correct. Still, as with all rules, they're there to be bent and broken on occasion;).

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hmmm, I'm not really sure which branch you're referring to. As far as reducing branchlets from 3 to 2, generally, I'd say you're correct. Still, as with all rules, they're there to be bent and broken on occasion;).
I am referring to these branchlets:
QuickMemo+_2015-11-28-20-09-35.png

Just curious what you thought about them. To me, it makes sense to reduce it to two and then just wait for it to fill back in rather than waste energy on a branch that 'should' be removed.

I also only see it in 2D ;)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ahhh, that's the dropped branch. I guess that I need all three at the moment to have a balanced look, not to mention the health of the tree needs to be considered (I removed about 50% of the foliage). I suppose I might eventually reduce those 3 to 2, but I like the way it looks right now.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ahhh, that's the dropped branch. I guess that I need all three at the moment to have a balanced look, not to mention the health of the tree needs to be considered (I removed about 50% of the foliage). I suppose I might eventually reduce those 3 to 2, but I like the way it looks right now.
Well if you're satisfied with it, that's all that matters right?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dav4, I'm about to buy 2 JBPs. One for shohin and one for sth taller. The first thing I'll have to deal is repotting them to bonsai soil. You've just repotted, so if you don't mind I would have a Q: When will you be able to work with this pine after repotting? I mean wiring, needle plucking and all kinds of pruning. I know, too much information required.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dav4, I'm about to buy 2 JBPs. One for shohin and one for sth taller. The first thing I'll have to deal is repotting them to bonsai soil. You've just repotted, so if you don't mind I would have a Q: When will you be able to work with this pine after repotting? I mean wiring, needle plucking and all kinds of pruning. I know, too much information required.
Dave, was that a 1/2 bare root? Or a total?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When doing this much root work, as it appears this was more than a 1/2 bare root repot, you have to be conservative.

No fertilizer for 30 days. Then start fertilizing.

If you do less than a 1/2 bare root repot, you can decandle. But if you remove 1/2 the root ball, or more, don't decandle. Wiring can probably be done safely next fall.

Don't rush it. Whenever you do a lot of root work, remember the "one insult per year" rule. Needle pulling weakens the tree. Root work weakens the tree. Wiring and styling weakens the tree.

Give it a chance to get strong again, first. Then once it's strong, you'll be able to do all the other thinks without risking the life (or health) of the tree.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree with Adair to a point, in that I was fairly aggressive today as far as removing soil- at least 75%- though I didn't remove more then 30-40% of the roots, and I don't want to overwork the tree by removing too much canopy. It was wired last fall and won't need wiring again this year. Still, if the candles grow strongly this spring, I will de-candle and needle pluck as needed. If it doesn't, I'll hold off. I suspect it'll get de-candled...stay tuned.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree with Adair to a point, in that I was fairly aggressive today as far as removing soil- at least 75%- though I didn't remove more then 30-40% of the roots, and I don't want to overwork the tree by removing too much canopy. It was wired last fall and won't need wiring again this year. Still, if the candles grow strongly this spring, I will de-candle and needle pluck as needed. If it doesn't, I'll hold off. I suspect it'll get de-candled...stay tuned.
Thank you, I'll follow this thread and make my own in case of need. I've got some seedlings and young corkers that are fine, but killed one larger - raw material when I decandled and then was advised to repot it in the summer...

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When doing this much root work, as it appears this was more than a 1/2 bare root repot, you have to be conservative.

No fertilizer for 30 days. Then start fertilizing.

If you do less than a 1/2 bare root repot, you can decandle. But if you remove 1/2 the root ball, or more, don't decandle. Wiring can probably be done safely next fall.

Don't rush it. Whenever you do a lot of root work, remember the "one insult per year" rule. Needle pulling weakens the tree. Root work weakens the tree. Wiring and styling weakens the tree.

Give it a chance to get strong again, first. Then once it's strong, you'll be able to do all the other thinks without risking the life (or health) of the tree.
Thank you, I'll see what soil it'll come in. It's almost a raw /pre bonsai material. I work with some pines, jwp, jrp and collected scots...but jbp is my dream tree and surprisingly challenging...

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Actually, JBP is the easiest and probably the most vigorous of the pines to develop for bonsai... If you know what your doing.

JBP are very responsive to the correct techniques. On a positive way. But, they are also very responsive to incorrect techniques! In a negative way.

The challenge is to determine which is which. Timing is very important, and can turn a "correct" technique into an "incorrect" technique.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Actually, JBP is the easiest and probably the most vigorous of the pines to develop for bonsai... If you know what your doing.

JBP are very responsive to the correct techniques. On a positive way. But, they are also very responsive to incorrect techniques! In a negative way.

The challenge is to determine which is which. Timing is very important, and can turn a "correct" technique into an "incorrect" technique.
Right, I know that's why I'm so confused with it... I've gathered lots of literature, how tos, "eaten" knowledge and the result...:(

You stated in your previous post here:
"If you do less than a 1/2 bare root repot, you can decandle. But if you remove 1/2 the root ball, or more, don't decandle. Wiring can probably be done safely next fall.

Don't rush it. Whenever you do a lot of root work, remember the "one insult per year" rule. Needle pulling weakens the tree. Root work weakens the tree. Wiring and styling weakens the tree."

So I'll clean less than 1/2 of root ball. Will follow recommended aftercare. Is decandling less serious insult than wiring, needle plucking or styling? Or better...I've started my thread and will consult the issues as they come. Thank you.

Top Bottom