JBP Literati

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
View attachment 245571
Will get decandled in a month... The increased ramification and smaller needles should look good on this one by September.

Hi Dave,
Would you be able to give me some dimensions to your literati JBP here.
Pot size, trunk girth, tree height etc. Just that the picture looks great but hard to guess the height thing.
Charles

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Dave,
Would you be able to give me some dimensions to your literati JBP here.
Pot size, trunk girth, tree height etc. Just that the picture looks great but hard to guess the height thing.
Charles
Sorry I missed this. This one is just about exactly 2 feet tall... confirmed by the praying mantis during de-candling 😉.
BF115B29-177D-454C-B142-EC847440D8A6.jpeg494B30E8-EC3C-46FD-85A2-BFA97836AD7C.jpeg91C405E1-9166-4CA9-A0AB-0F5C5BE8F991.jpeg8F99A923-16C9-4B52-B29D-529B39FC92E8.jpeg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I like it a lot, I like literati.

It's hard to read the numbers on your measuring tape: how tall is it? (the tree!)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Dave. Any updates on this JBP literati?
Well, I found out after the fact that this one probably was suffering from spider mites as early as November of last year but didn’t get it diagnosed and sorted away until late January… Hence the mottled, yellowish needles. Still, it budded out strongly enough this spring to be D candled about three weeks ago and it is pushing a new round of buds right now… So far so good!

FEA1E234-2610-43C7-90D3-B8DAF9A41397.jpeg148BDC0E-F6FC-4A43-9E7C-4838F5312D1B.jpeg

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
T'riffic! Thanks for posting the pictures.

Out of interest, what damage do spider mites? Not something I've ever suffered from

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
T'riffic! Thanks for posting the pictures.

Out of interest, what damage do spider mites? Not something I've ever suffered from
Consider yourself lucky if you've never had to deal with them, though I honestly wonder if they're an issue at all in your climate. They're generally associated as a pest of junipers, but apparently will infest pines as well as other species. Extremely small, barely visible with the naked eye, they suck sap from the needles/leaves of the plants they infest. Unfortunately, one often doesn't recognize the damage until the foliage develops a yellow or grey pallor... at this point, the damage is significant and will absolutely set the tree back.... https://extension.umn.edu/yard-and-garden-insects/spider-mites

Jure_v

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Very nice looking tree :) you did good job so far.
And i am glad you solved spider mite problem. They can be nasty.

I am wondering about decangling JBP. I read that JBP (2flush pines) decandle just when needdles emerged from candles. And single flush pines decandle or better say cut new growth when needles harden off in early spring to promote backbudding and ramification.
From your posts i see you cut them when we cant see candles anymore so similar as single flush. Or i am not totaly understand those techniques. Can you explain those thing?

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a

I am wondering about decangling JBP. I read that JBP (2flush pines) decandle just when needdles emerged from candles. And single flush pines decandle or better say cut new growth when needles harden off in early spring to promote backbudding and ramification.
From your posts i see you cut them when we cant see candles anymore so similar as single flush. Or i am not totaly understand those techniques. Can you explain those thing?
I decandle my JBP and JRP in the middle of the summer, in time for a second flush of growth till the end of Autumn.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Your ”understanding” is WAY, WAY off base.

JBP decandling timing depends on your local climate, mostly. And then, the size of the tree comes into play, as well.

For JBP, the longer your growing season, the later in the summer you decandle. It does NOT matter how much or little the candle or needles have grown, it the TIMING that matters. After decandling, the new shoots will have a certain period of time remaining in the growing season. That about of time determines how long the new needles will be able to grow before cold weather shuts them down. The general concensus is that it takes 100 days after decandling for the new shoots and needles to grow to maturity. So, find out the date of the “first expected frost”, and count back 100 days, and that’s about as late in the summer as you can decandle.

How does the size of the tree affect the timing? Well a large JBP looks better with slightly longer needles. A Shohin JBP would look better with shorter needles. Therefore, decandle the big trees earlier so their needles will have more growing season, and decandle the shohin later, so that their needles will be shorter.

This is something of a dark art, and you will have to try it and see how your trees respond. The weather can vary each year, and that can affect the tree’s response. Also, if you have repotted in the spring, the tree might not be strong enough to decandle that summer.

Single flush pines are generally not decandled. You can pinch back (shorten) the too strong shoots in spring, but if you completely remove the whole candle, the tree might not replace it.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

I tend to de-candle in early summer, with my larger trees done the last week of June and my medium and smaller trees done the first week of July, though I have done them in mid July. As Adair said, it has less to do with how developed the new candles are and more to do with how much time is left in the growing season. Those in colder climates with shorter growing seasons might de-candle close to a month earlier then me, and those growing JBP in warmer climates may not do it until mid to late July.

Top Bottom