JBP losing steam

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Is this thing ready for it's ride over the fence. I bought it off ebay about a year ago and its was probable my fastest growing JBP. It looked like it was having a great second flush this summer and all the sudden this!!
Its planted in a pond basket with Bonsai jacks organic mix. It seemed to grow excellent until all the sudden. When I got it off ebay a year ago I probably roughly 1/2 bare rooted it. so some of the original root ball is still there. I water it usually twice a day but have cut back to once now. Its still drains well, I can poke a chop stick through it easily, expect of course where the remaining root ball is. It get full sun and I fertilized it most of the summer about once a week, usually with a weak mirical grow and some times with organic fert but always less than the directions call for. I quit fertilizing it now that it took a turn for the worst.
I know that by time pines show problems it might be too late.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• jbp wilting.jpg
    jbp wilting.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 83
  • jbp wilting 2.jpg
    jbp wilting 2.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 82

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The fact that it looks like this year's candles didn't even finish pushing indicates to me that this tree has had issues for a while.

Seems like a root issue to me.
The apex looks dead
The needles look dessicated.

I'm not sure if it can be saved or not at thus point

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I had 2nd year seedlings that kept getting knocked out of its pot by someone else, and it eventually did this. It's dead. The needles will be brown soon enough.

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Is this thing ready for it's ride over the fence. I bought it off ebay about a year ago and its was probable my fastest growing JBP. It looked like it was having a great second flush this summer and all the sudden this!!
Its planted in a pond basket with Bonsai jacks organic mix. It seemed to grow excellent until all the sudden. When I got it off ebay a year ago I probably roughly 1/2 bare rooted it. so some of the original root ball is still there. I water it usually twice a day but have cut back to once now. Its still drains well, I can poke a chop stick through it easily, expect of course where the remaining root ball is. It get full sun and I fertilized it most of the summer about once a week, usually with a weak mirical grow and some times with organic fert but always less than the directions call for. I quit fertilizing it now that it took a turn for the worst.
Any suggestions?
That mix looks too organic / water retentative for JBP. I suspect it was getting too much water. You can try cutting off the brown and keeping it drier. It could be gone already though.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Any suggestions?
Although it might not be the cause of death, for future reference, do not water your JBP twice a day. That is way too much water, especially in whar seems to be a rententive soil mix

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This thing did finally get its ride over the fence. Autopsy reveled a different substrate than Bonsai jack, some stuff I was experimenting with in the beginning, mostly Nappa 8822, and quite a bit of pine bark, It was still holding moister after giving up on it a week ago. I guess it was always wet. Surprised that pine hung in there as long as it did, bout a year, it actually seemed to thrive for a while.

Top Bottom