JBP material evaluation

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Hello guys..
I need your help!

What do you guys feel for this tree at around 184 USD (700 BRL)??

Measurements: 3 inch base and after design about 21 inches of height. (Currently sitting at about 27 inches of height)

I'm aiming for literati and plan to use just the leftside trunk and that little branch that comes of off that intersection

So basically I'm torn between the price and muito expectation towards what I envision with it. Feel free to fire away. Are my expectations too high for a mediocre material or is it a nice one? I really liked the base on it

Attachments

• 20180707_152145.jpg
    20180707_152145.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 20180707_152518.jpg
    20180707_152518.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 100

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like that trunk! If the price doesn't bother you, then buy it!:) It can be a nice literati pine, I would go for it.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm just speaking from what I've read and observed from others since I don't have a JBP of my own. I feel that that Nebari might be too good for a literati? Maybe the trunk is too thick? Since there aren't any low branches on it, literati might be the only option left besides grafting to get lower branching , etc. What kind of medium is it planted in? It's hard to tell on my phone.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That bark is great though. I like it!

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
It is potted in bonsai soil (we cannot import akadama or any kind of substrate)
Our bonsai mix basically consists in fired clay (smashed clay roof tiles, our "akadama"), gravel, pine bark and a sniff of charcoal.

I also thought about the nebari being "too good" for a literati but I kinda like its stability. That's one of the reasons that I'm asking for your guys opinions on it! I really appreciate it! Yes, i like that bark too :D

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello guys..
I need your help!

What do you guys feel for this tree at around 184 USD (700 BRL)??

Measurements: 3 inch base and after design about 21 inches of height. (Currently sitting at about 27 inches of height)

I'm aiming for literati and plan to use just the leftside trunk and that little branch that comes of off that intersection

So basically I'm torn between the price and muito expectation towards what I envision with it. Feel free to fire away. Are my expectations too high for a mediocre material or is it a nice one? I really liked the base on it
Nice trunk for other styles, branching suits literati. Not sure about the combination. The trunk seems to need a lot of bending for literati. I would pass on it. For me it is more what the tree shows as it starts off pretty straight with solid base.

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Nice trunk for other styles, branching suits literati. Not sure about the combination. The trunk seems to need a lot of bending for literati. I would pass on it. For me it is more what the tree shows as it starts off pretty straight with solid base.

I agree it will take some heavy bending to make the branches in the right direction.. But I believe it is possible since the branches that need bending are about pencil thick.

I have seen a few literati trees without so many contorted trunks coming off of the ground
images

asia5.jpg

there are more examples but you get the idea.

I'm pondering because 700 BRL ~ 180USD is a considerable amount for a rough material such as this.. (it was higher priced but the owner gave me a discount)

I'm not expecting this tree to be on big shows or anything but I really like to get the best I can with what I have/can get.
I have this JRP already and maybe I will trade trees should this JBP turns out better (IF I get it, of course).
20170708_122419_zpsjetchks1.jpg

(this pic is just after its first styling.. Currently it has put on more foliage and I'm about to repot it.)

It was like this:
pre-bonsai-pinheiro-vermelho-10-anos.jpg

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Here's a sketch of what me and my teacher were planning for this material, but i think I will pass on it. Have too many project trees already and not enough space. Been trying to upgrade my trees and getting another project is not one way to do it..

That tree has been on the shop for about 6 years so there is always a chance I change my mind later on hahaha
20180712_120536.jpg

Top Bottom