JBP Mikawa from seed

pmalelis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well even if I don't get a masterpeice there is always a chance with future knowledge. So I purchased Mikawa seed from sheffields, and armed myself with Brents and Brians articles, and Bonsai today. Come march I will sow the seed . anyone in the process of jbp from seed, any new updates to old threads?

Last edited:

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Mine got lost in a move, may try some again next spring. They are pretty easy to germinate and make cuttings with. Bonsai Tonight has some great posts on this, and results. I also have posts on this!

Last edited:

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score

pmalelis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
One question I do have is in Lindsay Farrs WOB series 2 episode 2 the field grown jbp dont seem to use long sacrafice branches like I see done here. Any reason for this?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here are a few in my yard, approximately 5, 10, and 15 years of age.

the 5-year old is Mikawa, 10 is Awaji, and 15 is seedling variety.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 159

pmalelis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
wow that last pic shows you have that sacrafice/final branch selection down almost perfect Brian. Great inspiration and motivation. thanks

pmalelis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Brian, it seems that there are pdfs from your website that are no longer there ,did you move them? Do you have any writeups on jbp from very young stock? I have been reading your blog, not only are your trees impressive but you document your process so thoroughly, something I wish to be able to do some day. Thanks for your contributions.
Pete

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Brian, it seems that there are pdfs from your website that are no longer there ,did you move them? Do you have any writeups on jbp from very young stock? I have been reading your blog, not only are your trees impressive but you document your process so thoroughly, something I wish to be able to do some day. Thanks for your contributions.
Pete

I took them down to update and haven't finished...glad you're finding them to be useful, hope to get them updated soon.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Nice job Brian - those are really starting to pay off!

I've got some JBP from seed but they are only a couple of years old. I've instead started focusing on Larix from seed. Up here, they thicken so much faster than JBP. Bark is slow though. Anyone in the North East reading those Bonsai Today articles on JBP from seed should probably almost double the timeline to achieve the same thing.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice job Brian - those are really starting to pay off!

I've got some JBP from seed but they are only a couple of years old. I've instead started focusing on Larix from seed. Up here, they thicken so much faster than JBP. Bark is slow though. Anyone in the North East reading those Bonsai Today articles on JBP from seed should probably almost double the timeline to achieve the same thing.

Have you posted about larix from seed? I'd be very interested in seeing your results. At least this way you can put some movement in them.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Have you posted about larix from seed? I'd be very interested in seeing your results. At least this way you can put some movement in them.

Hi Tom,

I had one post last year showing larch seedling cuttings but that's it. They worked great, and I will probably post an update this year. I have some 2 year old ones I just removed wire from.

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
I have 5-6 years of experience growing JBP from seed. I grow all mine in pond baskets instead of colanders. I had contributed to a pretty extensive thread on another forum. I believe it was bonsai study group. I would look for that thread. It was like 15+ pages of info with a lot of guys chiming in.

Patrick

pmalelis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My sheffield seed specifies 60 days cold stratification, is this nesessary, and what is the best method? I was just going to soak and sow.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My sheffield seed specifies 60 days cold stratification, is this nesessary, and what is the best method? I was just going to soak and sow.

Cold stratification is not necessary from what I experienced. On bonsai tonigh, I believe he has started boiling the seeds before sowing them. There is an article on the blog about it you should be able to find.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
One question I do have is in Lindsay Farrs WOB series 2 episode 2 the field grown jbp dont seem to use long sacrafice branches like I see done here. Any reason for this?

i think the trees that you are seeing in that episode already have established the trunk and primary branching and are only working on secondary and tertiary branching. No sacrifices needed at that stage

Reaction score
could you please explain your process and its timeline?

In the fall soak the seed in water for 24 hours. Then plant about 1/4 inch deep in your favorite soil mix in a container and place it outside where it will get rained on and frozen and all that, just keep the mix moist. When the temps warm up in the spring then your seed will be stratified and start to sprout when its ready. Really simple way and really good results depending on the species of seed. This works well for me on JBP, JWP and JRP.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The J.B.P. seed from the packets, packaged in Japan, will after 24 hours of soaking, generally germinate in 10 or so days. [ no need for refrigeration ]

Some J.R.P seed from Amazon, was put into hot water and left to soak for 24 hrs, germination started in 3 days and at a surprising 100 %, the last seed [ of 7 ] is now dropping the seed capsule. Only time will tell if they will adapt [ 1st time ] and if they are indeed J.R.P.

Also testing J.W.P., if this germinates, there will be much rejoicing. Last effort lasted two years, was an accident, and eaten by ants. Trying again.

Have only have thus far followed what is Bonsai Today, but as you may know we have a few differences with the response of the J.B.P, no candles as seen in the images. Only really short 1" to 1/2" candles, situation might be, after some discussion with English growers, too many buds allowed to develop. So new technique being tested.
Seems that J.B.P. candles in August to September for us.

Very healthy specimens, thus far.
Fingers crossed.
Good Morning.
Anthony

Top Bottom