JBP Mikawa Seeds - Source

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello,

I know we have plenty of time to prepare for next season (Seeds).
Which seller do you guys recommend to buy JBP Seeds (I prefer Mikawa if possible)?

I bought some Pines from Muranaka and I really like his Mikawa JBP (Unfortunately he doesnt sell seeds)

I also found this website.
Do you guys have any feedback from this seller?

Thanks
Chris

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The main issue with seed is that you'd need both parents to have a certain trait to be sure that the offspring will inherit that trait. IF that trait isn't recessive and IF the trait isn't a result of environmental factors.
With wind-pollinators like pines, this can be done if the parents are isolated (in a greenhouse for instance) and the grower has to make sure that no other pollen can get in. It can be done, and it can be done easily. But that doesn't mean it was done and that it was done properly.

Pollen in dry air can travel around 3000 kilometers by air and remain fertile, so the chance that something else pollinated a mikawa female tree is pretty present. I don't have any feedback on the seller, but I do have a big scoop of 'buyer beware'.
Before you throw down serious money for pine seeds, I think it'd be wise to ask for some pictures of the seedlings they're growing themselves. They should show traits of a mikawa, otherwise it's just regular 'wildtype' you're paying heaps for.
Since they themselves import these seeds from a - to you - unknown seller, I think it isn't very rude to ask for some proof that these seeds are in fact 'true to type'.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
^That's right on. Seeds is seeds. Even if they were bred true you'd still get normal/average/typical variation among offspring. Look at the kids in your own or any family and you'll see lots of variation. If the commercial people graft them instead of growing by seed, that tells you all you need to know.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I think Clark passed last year.
BTW, Mikawa is not a cultivar, it’s a region in Japan where the JBP happen to have great characteristics: deep green, small stiff needles and very plated, almost purple bark. Don’t worry much about parents and cultivar details. To some degree the tree is going to exhibit different traits anyway based on how and where you’re growing it. Keep searching for mikawa seed, it’s available online.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
How about Air Layer will it inherit the bark characteristics of the mother tree (I mean the tree where the air layer came from) (I assume it will take lots of years also to show those features)

D

Deleted member 32750

Hello,

I know we have plenty of time to prepare for next season (Seeds).
Which seller do you guys recommend to buy JBP Seeds (I prefer Mikawa if possible)?

I bought some Pines from Muranaka and I really like his Mikawa JBP (Unfortunately he doesnt sell seeds)

I also found this website.
Do you guys have any feedback from this seller?

Thanks
Chris
I purchased seeds from this seller and have had good results with germination rate and growth. I can definitely recommend them.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
How about Air Layer will it inherit the bark characteristics of the mother tree (I mean the tree where the air layer came from) (I assume it will take lots of years also to show those features)
Bark is the outer layers of a growing tree, and the very outer surface is dead, just like the outer surface of your skin. Each year one more layer grows underneath, just outboard of the cambium layer. The newest layers are flexible and stretch to some extent. A new layer of wood is grown each year inboard of the cambium layer. Both new layers increase the diameter of the tree and push outward, stretching layers of bark to its breaking point, and breaks into plates of one sort or another characteristic of a given species. Rough bark is old bark that has grown for some number of years, the older it is, the more siff and broken layers there are. If an air layer is done on an older branch with rough bark, then that's the starting point for that branch and it will only get rougher. The new branches that issue from that air layer starts the process anew at year one with smooth, stretchable, live bark.

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I purchased seeds from this seller and have had good results with germination rate and growth. I can definitely recommend them.
website is down for me, do you have another source for JBP seed from Mikawa?

D

Deleted member 32750

website is down for me, do you have another source for JBP seed from Mikawa?
Clark passed last year which is why the website is no longer up. I do not have a reliable source for seeds, but I do have some seedlings from his seeds, if you are interested

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Clark passed last year which is why the website is no longer up. I do not have a reliable source for seeds, but I do have some seedlings from his seeds, if you are interested
Maybe, pm me the prices and I’ll let you know. Thanks Adam

Top Bottom