JBP needle discoloration.

• Thread starter Deleted member 32750
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 32750

Can someone help me diagnose this discoloration on my JBP needles.

Attachments

• 486F2F7C-29DA-4B38-B4DE-44D6D7FB6284.jpeg
    486F2F7C-29DA-4B38-B4DE-44D6D7FB6284.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 67

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Tree looks healthy, needles don't last forever, so it looks like it is going through its natural cycle of shedding old needles and bringing in the new according to your pic. Enjoy!

D

Deleted member 32750

Tree looks healthy, needles don't last forever, so it looks like it is going through its natural cycle of shedding old needles and bringing in the new according to your pic. Enjoy!
Thank you for the response! I just acquired the tree in early October and I know it needs a repot at the first available opportunity in the spring so I was afraid the yellowing was from the rootball staying too wet.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks calmag deficciency.......possible potassium deficiency or toxicity from wrong ph.

ph can wack many things...root fungus will cause ph issues at roots.....anaerobic conditions( wet & no air) will let the root fungus actually thrive( root fungus is absolutely everywhere so do not give it a proper happy home..anaerobic or too warm water too).
Chlorine will wack your tree also....especially chloromine.

Look at these very few perameters
-check ph
-rocks or dirt for soil media?
This will determine fertilizer effectivness or type used( organic or soluble mineral salt) along with proper ph for each different method.
-chlorine content?
Essentially city tap sucks....wells are better......though sometimes excessively minerally too much(hard).

Which can involve a $50 chlorine filter(hydrologic brand is good)
Or if water is really hard( check ppm meter)
Will need RO filtration.(hydrologic brand has them for $100.....I have the micro 75 ro).
This is the conplete answer really......
Junk mineral of hard water clogs roots and makes deficiency .
Chlorine kills everything( no microbes at roots whatsoever which create root exudate by product of rhizome life npk...to lessen load on leaf photsynthetic food stores....to free their function so they can build brix instead.
Plus chlorine stunts overall growth in my experiance.

there is my educated answer with only three perameters to elimanate.

Also anaerobic soil conditions creat happy root fungus(root rot/pythium)....this looks deficiency to me which is caused by only about 3 different things in most cases!!!
✌️

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 32750

Thabks
Looks calmag deficciency.......possible potassium deficiency or toxicity from wrong ph.

ph can wack many things...root fungus will cause ph issues at roots.....anaerobic conditions( wet & no air) will let the root fungus actually thrive( root fungus is absolutely everywhere so do not give it a proper happy home..anaerobic or too warm water too).
Chlorine will wack your tree also....especially chloromine.

Look at these very few perameters
-check ph
-rocks or dirt for soil media?
This will determine fertilizer effectivness or type used( organic or soluble mineral salt) along with proper ph for each different method.
-chlorine content?
Essentially city tap sucks....wells are better......though sometimes excessively minerally too much(hard).

Which can involve a $50 chlorine filter(hydrologic brand is good)
Or if water is really hard( check ppm meter)
Will need RO filtration.(hydrologic brand has them for $100.....I have the micro 75 ro).
This is the conplete answer really......
Junk mineral of hard water clogs roots and makes deficiency .
Chlorine kills everything( no microbes at roots whatsoever which create root exudate by product of rhizome life npk...to lessen load on leaf photsynthetic food stores....to free their function so they can build brix instead.
Plus chlorine stunts overall growth in my experiance.

there is my educated answer with only three perameters to elimanate.

Also anaerobic soil conditions creat happy root fungus(root rot/pythium)....this looks deficiency to me which is caused by only about 3 different things in most cases!!!
✌️
Thanks for the reply!
A micronutrient deficiency seems a possibility. The soil is akadama Pumice and lava but the tree is heavily root bound and needs a repot as soon as the season is right. As far as water, my water does come from a well so I probably do need to test my water. Though I have a 4 year seedling jbp that doesn’t have needles that look like this and it gets the same water.
Do you have any recommendations for a micronutrient supplement that could be used if a deficiency is the case?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thabks

Thanks for the reply!
A micronutrient deficiency seems a possibility. The soil is akadama Pumice and lava but the tree is heavily root bound and needs a repot as soon as the season is right. As far as water, my water does come from a well so I probably do need to test my water. Though I have a 4 year seedling jbp that doesn’t have needles that look like this and it gets the same water.
Do you have any recommendations for a micronutrient supplement that could be used if a deficiency is the case?
I would have to say proper ph is by far the best micronutrient suppliment.
I use a&b hydro ferts.
Most volcanic bonsai mix is like drain to waste hydroponics.
Organic type mineral such as rock phosphates and such need myco fungi.
Mineral salts can skip as the phospherous is available and roots will expell myco as a pathogen.
If cloudy nutrien definately get a digital meter.

if organic cakes...keep in mind that they eventually may turn your media into a better buffering soil like media where slightly higher ph is recommended...otherwise 5.8-6.2 is best practice........treat your drenching water before pouring on if cakes......if in sloution ph your nutrient

Attachments

• 3A7447A9-22A8-4142-AEDD-A27F97AF546C.jpeg
    3A7447A9-22A8-4142-AEDD-A27F97AF546C.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 48

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If drenching plain water in between suppliment with humic acid powder every watering......5:2 humic and kelp can be used every watering IF IN ROOTS........BE SURE TO RINSE LEAVES AS THE KELP WILL BURN ON LEAVES MORE THAN ONCE A WEEK.

Top Bottom