JBP possibly being added to the prohibited (invasive) plant list in Massachusetts

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Heads up: there was a hearing last month discussing the possible addition of JBP to the Mass. Prohibited Plant list. This covers the "importation, sale, and trade" plus "purchase and distribution of these plants and related activities" and "includes all cultivars, varieties and hybrids of the species" (wording taken from the main page for the list). The reasoning, given in this document, is that JBP is rapidly spreading outside of cultivation, particularly in the coastal parts of the state such as Cape Cod and the island of Nantucket.

I can't say I find that shocking; the climates of eastern Asia and eastern North America are quite similar. Many plants from Asia (bittersweet, knotweed, tree of heaven, bush honeysuckle, multiflora rose...) have already been found to be invasive. But this listing definitely lands the closest to the bonsai community that I've seen. Honestly, if Japanese maple (Acer palmatum) weren't so popular, I could see it meeting a similar fate eventually since it's also naturalizing throughout the northeastern US.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Honestly, if Japanese maple (Acer palmatum) weren't so popular, I could see it meeting a similar fate eventually since it's also naturalizing throughout the northeastern US.
That is quite a good point.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is ironic, because the species is high on tree lists for stabilizing shorefront properties. They grow well in sandy soils and have high tolerance to salt spray.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is ironic, because the species is high on tree lists for stabilizing shorefront properties. They grow well in sandy soils and have high tolerance to salt spray.
Too good at the job, huh? Rosa rugosa was also previously recommended for that purpose then started getting out of control.

Edit: I would hope that pitch pine would be a nice native replacement but all the pines I saw on my last drive down to the Cape looked like death warmed over. I think the seesaw rain/drought years are taking their toll.

hampton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Any idea the outcome of the meeting? Given the previous classification of 'Likely Invasive' I'm sure it's only a matter of time

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Good , they need to allow for Pitch Pine and other native species to dominate not Japanese Black Pine .. you Massachusetts nuts should volunteer to remove these invasive species… as your duty to natural native environment..🫣😉

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Any idea the outcome of the meeting? Given the previous classification of 'Likely Invasive' I'm sure it's only a matter of time
No, I only randomly stumbled across this the other day.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Too good at the job, huh? Rosa rugosa was also previously recommended for that purpose then started getting out of control.

Edit: I would hope that pitch pine would be a nice native replacement but all the pines I saw on my last drive down to the Cape looked like death warmed over. I think the seesaw rain/drought years are taking their toll.
Too good at the job has happened a few times with invasive species. Cane toads - enough said.

Top Bottom