JBP problem

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
This JBP had a rough year last year as it was in a soil mix that was too water retentive (my bad (and won't do it again)) and it struggled. On repotting the roots weren't great and I got it in a mix that's very fast draining now and it's responded well. It had lots of new buds this spring and looks like it's on it's way to recovery. I water it daily. I don't water the foliage. It had some needle cast last year.
So I was looking at it closely today and I see that a few of this years buds have needles that are narrowed right at the takeoff and then drop straight down.
Also one of the long buds up at that top has a side without needles. I figured my 16 month old whacked it with one of his toys and took off a side of needles but now that I see the buds with the needles drooping down I wonder if it's part of the same process.
My guess is that this is a fungal issue.
I sprayed with copper a couple times in spring but haven't since as it really hasn't been very wet here in California.
I would appreciate any input here on what you think this is and if you think I should spray again with copper and if I should be more diligent in taking off the needles form last year that have brown tips or bands (I didn't before as the tree seemed on shaky ground and I didn't want to remove too much.)
Thanks,
Ian

Attachments

• pine1.jpg
    pine1.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 100
  • pine2.jpg
    pine2.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 88
  • pine3.jpg
    pine3.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 87
  • pine6.jpg
    pine6.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 92
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd be very suspicious of saw fly larva and spray with Spectricide or some other bug killer.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tree is pretty dang healthy all things considered... spray for pests as Mac suggested... and resist the urge to hover over it. Wouldn't want you to love it to death. ;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am even more confident in the saw fly diagnosis. I looked closer at the number four photo, you have a whole row of needles that have been cut off that upright branch. The needles are cut just above the sheath. That is a dead give away for saw fly larva. Get some insecticide on it now. In a few days hit it again.

From now on you need to start every spring with some insect killer. I have been very successful with a Bayer systemic that you can buy at a Lowe's, Home Depot or other garden supply. That stuff is great, get the tree and shrub type and when buds start forming in spring you water one dose in and let the tree take it up. Most insects get one bite at the apple and then hit the dirt dead. It's good for most all bonsai and keeps the leaf eating, boring and sap sucking insects off your trees. A bottle is in the $20 range and will last you a long time unless you are running a commercial growing operation. You use it at full strength dilution. Don't worry that it has a 1% fertilizer content, that is to encourage the tree to take it up. The next time you water you'll flush most of the fertilizer portion out. I try and do this early enough in the spring that I am not watering every day to give the full dose time to make it's way into the trees systems. Plants that do need watering the next day I just spray enough to wet the soil not to flush it on through.

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thanks Mac and Victrinia,
I'll try the Bayer. When you do it in Spring as prevention does that cover for the season or do you do it periodically?
I think you may be right about the sawfly thing but I'm surprised I didn't see the larvae on it at some point. I don't hawk over each tree but I do water every day and look at them... Also I seem to remember reading somewhere before about something else that made the needles look like an exclamation mark with the taper at the origin. I found a few needles that had fallen off of that top area and they have that look.
Thanks,
Ian
needles.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The Bayer Tree & Shrub systemic is supposed to be a once a year treatment. I do it to all my bonsai every spring so I couldn't tell you if it would last longer. I'll find one hole in one maple leaf, beech leaf or a birch leaf. One pine needle cut off occasionally. Before I started using it it was a constant battle to keep everything sprayed every week or two. Aphids used to colonize on my maples and beech. Haven't seen one aphid since I started using it.

A bug takes one bite of any part of any tree and they are a goner. I think it great stuff! It is called Bayer Advanced, comes in a blue plastic bottle that is about two quart size. They make it for fruits and veggies, other kinds of plants, I forget what and Tree & Shrub I get that one. Just read the mix directions for potted shrubs and go for it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Oh yeah, you seldom will see a saw fly larva.

They are the same green as the needles(I think they can adjust their color to match the color they are beside), they are about the same diameter.

They work at night and during the day they get in a clump of needles, hang on by one end and they blend right into the normal needles on the tree. You'd have to pull on every needle looking thing on the tree to find the little buggars.

But as I said with the Bayer stuff they cut one needle and they are finished, that's why I do find an occasional cut needle. No more wholsale harvesting.

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I think you're right... probably was eaten. My deciduous are all getting munched on. I spray Neem oil every month or so when stuff gets out of hand. All of my new maple leaves are rag tag from someone having a bite as they were formed. I hadn't been spraying the evergreens as the damage was not as obvious but now that I look around I think they're getting a little eaten too.
Ordered the Bayer advanced shrub and tree on Amazon today...
Thanks again,
Ian

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mac,
I see the Bayer Tree and Shrub is available in a granular and a liquid. Have you tried the granular?

Thanks

Frank

Top Bottom