JBP Question

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
I've repotted my JBP, and the candles are pushing hard and the needle "sleeves" have opened up. My question is: Can I decandle this year since I repotted? I really need to work on backbudding and ramification at this point. The tree has been in training for about 12 yrs. I just got it this year, and did a repot along with a major cut over the winter. The tree is healthy as an ox, but I don't want to do too much this year. At the same time I don't want the internodes to get long. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
As a general rule, you should let the tree recover for a year at least after a re-pot before you add another insult to it.

However, others more experienced with JBP may have differing opinions.

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've repotted my JBP, and the candles are pushing hard and the needle "sleeves" have opened up. My question is: Can I decandle this year since I repotted? I really need to work on backbudding and ramification at this point. The tree has been in training for about 12 yrs. I just got it this year, and did a repot along with a major cut over the winter. The tree is healthy as an ox, but I don't want to do too much this year. At the same time I don't want the internodes to get long. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Carmen,
(It is Carmen, yes?)
Can you post a couple of photos of your tree? Generally speaking, a JBP that has been in training for 12 years can be candled this year regardless of work done to it (providing it is as healthy and strong as you say) unless the work was extreme.

I'd let the candles get as long as they want and then take off everything except the very weakest in late June to early July, depending on where you live. There's a lot more to it than that, but that's when and how we candle. We also combine candling with needle pulling to accelerate development and balance the energy of the tree.

Chris

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
Carmen,
(It is Carmen, yes?)
Can you post a couple of photos of your tree? Generally speaking, a JBP that has been in training for 12 years can be candled this year regardless of work done to it (providing it is as healthy and strong as you say) unless the work was extreme.

I'd let the candles get as long as they want and then take off everything except the very weakest in late June to early July, depending on where you live. There's a lot more to it than that, but that's when and how we candle. We also combine candling with needle pulling to accelerate development and balance the energy of the tree.

Chris

I'll try to get some photos when I get home. The entire top of the tree was cut off in Dec., and it is now semi-cascade. It was repotted in Mid March. The cut greatly improved the taper and the overall shape of the trunk and nebari were wanting to be semi-cascade anyway. it was almost like it was being force to be Moyogi. Moyogi with a cylinder trunk and no taper. The trunk is about 1.75 inches in diameter, and the nebari extends to about 4 inches. Overal length is about 9inches, but will be reduced to about 7.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the candles are strong this year, there should be no reason not to candle the tree, IMO.

TimD

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ya sounds like it's healthy and should respond well to the candling.

anttal63

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
im not quite up to this level yet but it all sounds the logical and natural thing to do. thanks for sharing guys another tip in the pocket.:)

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. The wife had me up to my arms in work around the house last night, so I didn't get to take pics. I'll get some when I can.

Thanks!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks everyone. The wife had me up to my arms in work around the house last night, so I didn't get to take pics. I'll get some when I can.

Thanks!

So I suppose my guess at "Carmen" was incorrect, no? :p

Chris

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
Yeah, my name is Chris. Sorry, I didn't correct it earlier.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Chris -ever heard an ol Sgt. get called Sir. HEhehe I thank you for the respect, but we are about the same length of tooth I believe, so Bill is good. Besides I just happened to remember that one, just as apt to goof the next.:) Have a great day.

Top Bottom