JBP Repotting and Decandling in the Same Year

Ayxowpat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi all,

I have a shohin size JBP and I decandled it last year. It is doing pretty well. I am considering to repot the tree this year.
1- If I repot the tree in Spring, can I decandle it;
2- If not, is it safe to prune the hardened shoots in August?
3- If I decandle it, can I repot it in August-September?

Actually, what I am trying to clarify is, how am I going to keep the needles and internodes short if I repot in that year?

Thanks in advance.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I hope @Brian Van Fleet and @Adair M can chime in with thier greater expertise.
Most of us usually do not decandle a JBP the same year that we repot.

I have decandled shoots that were very very strong (the new shoots were 6 inches long) the same year of a repot, but not the whole tree.

I believe that if your candles are getting too long in some areas when the first flush comes out, you can cut the candles in half before they open to help keep the internodes shorter. Then just leave the tree until its time to thin needles. I havent really seen this myself, I just had one or two really crazy big candles on one tree.

When was the last time you repotted it?
Can you post a picture of the tree?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
In my climate it does not seem to do any harm to repot and decandle in the same year. If the tree puts out new shoots long enough to require pruning then it is obviously strong and well established enough to cope with cutting the shoots as well. i suspect that most of Turkey would be similar in climate.

I think I saw one of the experienced pine growers saying that the tree is allowed to grow in a repot year ie not maintained in show condition and not showed that year. I guess that any over long growth would be pruned back to the few older needles left below the long shoots.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
As a rule, you should plan on not de-candling the same year as a re-pot... but there can be exceptions :) . I wouldn't hesitate to de-candle a JBP that had been re-potted that spring if it has grown strongly post re-pot. If you're not sure, it's probably safer to hold off.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There is a lot of difference between one person's 'repot' and what another grower might consider 'repot' in terms of amount of root removed, timing, etc. Also quality of care through the year which can impact on total tree health. I'd say the best guide is how the tree grows through spring.

I must say that pine does look very yellow. Maybe the photo? but doesn't look in the best of health at the moment. I often get yellowing needles if the tree has been too long between repot or has not had enough fertiliser.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The year you skip decandling, don't pull old needles. Then the following year you can go back the current year's growth plus the previous year's growth when you decandle. Key is keeping enough old needles that you are not pruning to bare branches.

Your pine looks somewhat yellow, and not particularly vigorous. I would not decandle the year I repot that tree.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When WAS the last time it was repotted?

I'd be curious to know why you are already concerned about keeping short needles.

It also seems like a bit of branch stretching could be helpful. Seems a lot of stuff right on top of each other, without a lot of branch definition.

If we're using it's energy to move it forward, I'd first alot some to a good thoughtful pruning and branch structure, which could be 1-3 years, then get into a decandling maintenance program, then get small needles on a more organized bit.

Perhaps it branches better than it feels, I catch that "too close" feeling easy.

I too would ask Adair and Brian for a more righteous schedule.

It seems dangerous or uneccesary to repot.

Like someone sold it to you with outdated instructions.

This could be a great little tree if you let it.

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First question: why repot? Is it not draining well? When was it last repotted? Is it in good or poor soil?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I don’t have any issues with decandling in the same year as a repot, but this tree looks a little weak, and I might be more tempted to let it grow this year, and prune and wire it in the fall. To Adair’s post, if you don’t need to repot it, I would not. It will help build strength.

Top Bottom