JBP Repotting

mapleX

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I live in the Southern Hemisphere and about 3 and a half months ago I repotting my black pine; My question is that because the repotting was performed almost outside the ideal season, the tree is showing the impact with a slowed growth although the acicles are well colored and the new growth is hardened. It is normal that the first year after repotting the Tree does not show its best health version?

Next spring could I begin to see a more significant recovery and growth?

As you must have noticed I have little experience with black pines, the repotting was performed not by me but by a professional in my area.The tree is about 50 years old and was very strong before the transplant.

I listen to any advice that can help me at this stage, a couple of weeks ago I started fertilizing it with hanagokoro in a mild dose.

Thank you!!
(and sorry for mi english)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pictures?

Depends on the tree.
Yes a JBP can have some slower growth the year of a repot. However, I've had them come back like nothing happened.

If the trees is looking unhealthy besides slower growth, I might be more concerned.

Pictures would really help us to better see what you're talking about and give advice.

Is it actually showing growth?

My best advice without pictures is to monitor it carefully, watch the water. Don't let it dry out but don't let it be too wet either. I would not feed unless you see active growth.

Last edited:

mapleX

Yamadori
Reaction score
Pictures?

Is it actually showing growth?

I will try to upload some photos.

answering your question, yes, there is a visible growth in the tree; Slow but there it is.That slow growth accelerated when the tree moved from the shady location to the sun in the morning.

As additional data, I could say that it is an old pine tree that spent a great many years without repotting. The tree had a design and wiring job, it responded very well to these jobs and three months later it was repot.

The original substrate was 100% organic, like the one used in nurseries. The new substrate was a mixture between volcanic sand (50%) and organic compost (50%)

The new substrate is very light and with better drainage.

The first two months after transplanting the pine tree was in the shade, then it was transferred to semi shade with morning sun.

Thanks!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The first two months after transplanting the pine tree was in the shade, then it was transferred to semi shade with morning sun.
Were it me, it would have gone directly back into as full-sun as I have. Pines have waxy leaves and are, therefore, very capable of limiting water loss by simply closing their leaf stomata. Full sun makes for the max carbohydrate and auxin production = most rapid root (re-)growth.

,,, just sayin'

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'm also a straight back into the usual growing location - full sun for pines - grower. Every time we shift a tree to a new set of growing conditions it needs to adjust and growth can slow for a couple of weeks. It is just getting used to the shade and we shove it into full sun and it needs to readjust again.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I will try to upload some photos.

answering your question, yes, there is a visible growth in the tree; Slow but there it is.That slow growth accelerated when the tree moved from the shady location to the sun in the morning.

As additional data, I could say that it is an old pine tree that spent a great many years without repotting. The tree had a design and wiring job, it responded very well to these jobs and three months later it was repot.

The original substrate was 100% organic, like the one used in nurseries. The new substrate was a mixture between volcanic sand (50%) and organic compost (50%)

The new substrate is very light and with better drainage.

Thanks!

Yea too months might be a tad long. I usually keep mine in a shady spot for a couple of weeks to allow the roots to recover a bit, because the tree's ability to take up water will be compromised some after root work. How compromised will depend on how much root work. I did a pretty large cut back on the roots of one of my JBP when I repotted and the tree sulked and was slow to recover from it. It did recover but under the circumstances, I prefer to let them have a little morning sun then shade in the late morning/afternoon when the day can get very warm and good water uptake is more critical. I dont like to take a chance of putting it right back in full sun, particularly because where I live, spring temperatures can be pretty variable. We can go from a nice 50-60 degree day where it would be no problem to 80+ and starting to bake the next.

Glad to hear it is growing though so feeding it a little isnt a bad idea but dont put too much fertilizer until you start to see more vigor in the tree.
I would not decandle this year especially if its slow to recover. Normally we dont decandle in the same year as a repot, unless it responds very strongly afterwards which doesnt sound like the case here. Besides it may need the extra strength to continue recovering. I would just leave it in the sun for now, keep an eye on it, water as usual when it needs it and feed it lightly every couple of weeks

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I'm trying to better understand what the tree was doing during these actions.
Hard to tell with the SoHem southern hemisphere thing.

The tree had a design and wiring job, it responded very well to these jobs and three months later it was repot

I feel 3 months, growth phase dependant, isn't enough to gauge that it responded well.
Unless this was before spring growth, and spring growth was the gauge. But even that isn't an accurate gauge, as spring growth is going to happen pretty much regardless of "health" from that wiring job.

If new growth is hardened...how is it "growing slow"? It shouldn't be "growing" really.

Can you look up the moon phase from when it was repotted?

Sorce

mapleX

Yamadori
Reaction score
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Sincerely thank you all for your comments!

Hi Sorce, thanks for the welcome.

Pruning and wiring work was carried out in winter here in southern Brazil, as the tree had commented, it was very strong before the intervention and then the spring growth was significant.

Designing and transplanting the same year for many is a sacrilege but the tree manifested a state of health that allowed to perform these tasks and so it was done.

The repotting was carried out in mid-spring in waning moon phase; before this the metsumi was performed.

Any other information you need please tell me. I will try to upload some images.

Thank you!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
information

That helps.

I'm trying to understand what "growth" is happening now. A natural second flush? The first still? Or worse, some odd immature "growth" that would signal distress?

Sounds like you have a knowledgeable handle on it. I'm not so worried now, but would like to see it still.

Cheers!

Sorce

Top Bottom