JBP seed stratification help

PloobOobl

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have read multiple things online about stratifyijg JBM seeds. A 120-90 day cold stratification is required but I have read people say that they either only stratify them for one week or don’t stratify them at all. I got the seeds from an Etsy seller.

Also what would be the ideal substrate for planting these guys?

Attachments

• C3A73051-E3AC-4D5F-A18F-FBE1C75F6BF9.jpeg
    C3A73051-E3AC-4D5F-A18F-FBE1C75F6BF9.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 13

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Japanese Black Pine seeds have been my most reliably germinating seeds in the last couple years.

I do not stratify. I only soak them in water for 24 hours.

I have planted in both garden soil and 100% peat and both work fine, although I have had the best success in straight peat.

This year, my seedlings will be taking part in an unscientific experiment:
*Some will remain in peat until large enough to transplant into bonsai type soil.
*Some have been cut using the seedling cutting method and placed in sand.
*Some will remain in the garden soil (fox farms).

So far, they are all doing equally well.

As for the maples, I did stratify my maples and a few of them sprouted.

Hope that helps!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have also done a number of trials over many years and found that JB Pine seed germinates reliably without stratification.
Sometimes I sow seed in flats outdoors in winter so they may get some natural stratification but seed sown later in spring still germinates well.
Japanese maple is quite another thing. Fresh seed harvested in fall germinates well without treatment but seed that has been dried and stored for longer often enters deep dormancy which can be difficult to break. Most recent methods I've seen involve warm stratification followed by cold stratification but I don't have the details because I only use fresh seed so don't need to bother with all that fuss and bother.

JBP and maple seed are relatively large and robust. Both will germinate in almost any media. The problem is in avoiding problems after germination so a well drained mix seems to be better to try to reduce fungal 'damping off'. I usually sow seed straight into the same mix I use for bonsai assuming that, if it is good for growing older trees it should also be good for seedlings.
If your usual soil mix is too coarse to sow seed in I'd use a commercial seed raising mix. These mixes are sanitized which will reduce pest and disease problems and are designed specifically to be just what seeds need. Note that most have no fert so feeding after germination is essential for good health and growth when using a commercial seed raising mix.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Note that most have no fert so feeding after germination is essential for good health and growth when using a commercial seed raising mix.
How long after germination do you start fertilizing?
How about with JBP seedling cuttings? Mine were cut almost 3 weeks ago.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
How long after germination do you start fertilizing?
Fert for seedlings is not critical. The seed provides all they need to get going in the forest and can keep seedlings alive for weeks if necessary while the roots start harvesting nutrients. Depends on the soil mix used to germinate. If there's no fert in the soil I start within a week or 2 of germination, probably around the time of first true leaves but not critical so a week or 2 won't make much difference. If your seedlings turn yellow or are not growing well they could be starving.

How about with JBP seedling cuttings? Mine were cut almost 3 weeks ago.
I no longer bother with JBP seedling cuttings as I seem to get better results with less hassle simply by pruning the emerging roots as I transplant the seedlings.
There is no point fertilizing plants with no roots and fert could actually be detrimental so you'll need to work out when the new roots have grown and can take the fertilizer. That timing will depend on so many factors it is harder to put a time on it. Gently check one to see what's happening and fertilize if you find it has roots. I'd start with reduced strength for the very new roots. Not sure if that's absolutely necessary but gradual build up won't hurt.

Top Bottom