JBP seedling candles - To remove or not - If so when ?

sbarnhardt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good morning all!!

I've got a number of JBP seedlings (22) that are entering their 2nd year with me which should make it their 3rd year. When I took them out of the "winter bed" of pine needles this morning, there are a lot of them with
candles of various size/length. I'm trying to find out if I should remove them and if so when. I read in a post on here to leave them until your tree gets to the size you want it to be before you start removing them, but it was
an old post and the only one I've found so far that addressed it. I've read the portion of my "Master's Series" book on pines, but I'm not sure. I don't want to find out later on that I was wrong and/or waited too late, so I'm asking for direction from someone more knowledgable.

Thanks!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Generally, you want seedlings to grow and removing candles would be counter productive. The only time I decandle seedlings is when I'm working lower branches that MIGHT make the final design. By the way, you should be wiring them for shape and, perhaps, working the roots at this point.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
SB, this reminds me of the quotes thread ;-) Don't cut candles until it's time to cut candles ;-) If you wish to induce lower buds then do nothing but pulling a few of last years needles and fertilizing heavily. There are no pics so it's all speculation on health and vigor. Sun and fertilizer with adequate water does wonders with pines of all species so max out on these for development

sbarnhardt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
By the way, you should be wiring them for shape and, perhaps, working the roots at this point.

You're very probably as right as rain! That will be a "new" process for me. I've got wire in a few sizes, etc., but I'm hesitant to jump into it. I'm reading and study trying to get my nerve up to jump into it. I hate to "screw up" and so am hesitant. I'll try to get my feet wet this next day or two.

Reaction score
Same situation here, I had a mass of buds one inch above the soil, left three and pulled seven off, then another inch up three strong buds and the candle thingy (which is just a vigorous shoot right? )

So how slow does this candle grow? Its the width of my finger long but it doesnt seem to be growing that quickly? I mostly have chinese elms, a few maples and a few indigenous trees but only two connifers -this seedling pine and a nice procumbens juniper. I bought the pine on impulse but now I regret not buying more. It was far away on vacation

Top Bottom