JBP seedling from San Diego Bonsai Supplies

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey all. I’m still in SD and went to this shop again. I visited the same place 2 years ago as well. Last time I bought a pot and some akadama. This time I wanted to look at their pot selection again and their price for akadama . They had a very large selection of pots, but most of what was available was unglazed. Only a handful of glazed which was what I was looking for. BUT. Outside the owner had a large selection of his trees and others for sale, which he didn’t have last time. The location is kind of funny, because the guy also owns a glass shop. Like automotive and residential. His bonsai shop is run from the same building! Anyways, along with the standard, elm, ficus and juniper he had for sale, he also had these bent up JBP for sale for $22 each. I bit on this one. He said it was a 6yr old from seed. Does that look right? I love how compact he scrunched the whole thing and will def aim to keep it squat, but I want to grow out the trunk as thick as possible over the next 5-10.

my questions and concerns.

I’ve seen them grow in awfully hardy zones and am not terrible concerned being in 7a. BUT, should I be concerned considering this was grown from seed in San Diego? I should probably give it extra protection for this first winter it’s about to go to?

I’ve never done a JBP, and figured this may be a decent place to start. But, IVE NEVER done JBP so I need to read up on quite a few threads! I figure a sacrifice grow out branch is in order while maintaining low shoots intact? What is the best pot to grow out a JBP in? I was thinking a 7” azalea terra cotta pot.
D87B9033-83B7-4CAA-A84D-71CF4893DBC0.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Other threads from this trip and last.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a link to his shop.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey that is a great little JBP for $22! Let me know the next time you go and you can pick a few up for me :)

No, you do not need to provide winter protection. If anything, San Diego is a little on the warm side for these guys. Believe it or not, JBP is widely planted in landscape on Long Island, NY, due to its wind and salinity resistance. Long Island is zone 7a, but though the temps may be similar, it is much further north than you so the winter photoperiod is shorter and less intense than where you are.

As far as care goes, a lot depends on where you want to take this tree. It has an interesting character given the trunk work, and you could start refinement work right now. Conversely, you could decide you want to grow it out and beef it up. Which would you prefer? FWIW the soil looks good and that tree is very strong. Thumbs up on the retailer!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey that is a great little JBP for $22! Let me know the next time you go and you can pick a few up for me :)

No, you do not need to provide winter protection. If anything, San Diego is a little on the warm side for these guys. Believe it or not, JBP is widely planted in landscape on Long Island, NY, due to its wind and salinity resistance. Long Island is zone 7a, but though the temps may be similar, it is much further north than you so the winter photoperiod is shorter and less intense than where you are.

As far as care goes, a lot depends on where you want to take this tree. It has an interesting character given the trunk work, and you could start refinement work right now. Conversely, you could decide you want to grow it out and beef it up. Which would you prefer? FWIW the soil looks good and that tree is very strong. Thumbs up on the retailer!
Thanks Greg! Honestly, if I had more space in my vehicle I would have bought a few more myself! we are maxed out with 7 passengers and too much stuff. He had at least a dozen, maybe more, all bent up in a similar fashion, all for $22. I wish I would have posted when I was there, but I didn’t expect to find something like this.

I do like the idea of thickening up the trunk a bit Before starting the refinement process. It seems it could only benefit the overall image.

he said it was a Mikawa? Can’t say for sure though.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
he said it was a Mikawa? Can’t say for sure though.
Mikawa just means he grew it from seeds from a Mikawa JBP. Mikawa is known for a gnarly growth habit and chunky bark. Not cork bark, but heavy fissured bark. It isn't a cultivar, per se, but rather a variety (naturally occurring) of trees that grow in the Mikawa region of Japan. Depending what you are looking for, it is considered a good JBP variety... similar to how some people prefer Itoigawa shimpaku junipers over Kishus.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mikawa just means he grew it from seeds from a Mikawa JBP. Mikawa is known for a gnarly growth habit and chunky bark. Not cork bark, but heavy fissured bark. It isn't a cultivar, per se, but rather a variety (naturally occurring) of trees that grow in the Mikawa region of Japan. Depending what you are looking for, it is considered a good JBP variety... similar to how some people prefer Itoigawa shimpaku junipers over Kishus.
Don’t know that I was looking to buy a plant at all, but I couldn’t say no to one of these! Plus I have been wanting to see how JBP does in NM a while now.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Don’t know that I was looking to buy a plant at all, but I couldn’t say no to one of these! Plus I have been wanting to see how JBP does in NM a while now.
I sent the nursery owner an email asking about his/her background and for a little info about the business. I hope to put up a little info about the nursery soon.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I sent the nursery owner an email asking about his/her background and for a little info about the business. I hope to put up a little info about the nursery soon.
That is very cool of you Greg. We are staying in Encinitas, but if I can get back down there before we leave on Saturday I will be happy to pick one up for ya.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another angle and the buds.

Attachments

• 5E9E2CD8-799D-4CB6-830E-2D6C97269137.jpeg
    5E9E2CD8-799D-4CB6-830E-2D6C97269137.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 175545B1-15F3-47BD-8A45-14B319F1D79F.jpeg
    175545B1-15F3-47BD-8A45-14B319F1D79F.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 36
  • DA5A6F57-5D40-4C6F-91F0-5C9483936EED.jpeg
    DA5A6F57-5D40-4C6F-91F0-5C9483936EED.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 29

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That is very cool of you Greg. We are staying in Encinitas, but if I can get back down there before we leave on Saturday I will be happy to pick one up for ya.
I was only kidding - because I don't want to saddle you with the liability of buying and shipping a tree to me! Hopefully they will respond to my email, and then see if they ship :) I am a bonsai addict. I have plenty of trees... but I could always have more :)

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was only kidding - because I don't want to saddle you with the liability of buying and shipping a tree to me! Hopefully they will respond to my email, and then see if they ship :) I am a bonsai addict. I have plenty of trees... but I could always have more :)
Haha. I’d be lying if I didn’t want an excuse to go back just to have another look at everything. Do I need another tree? Absolutely not. But I WANT all the trees.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anything else interesting there? Maples, oaks, olives?
Not many deciduous beyond the standard S Shaped elms. Most of what was worth buying were these seedlings, and most everything else for sale were juniper big and small. You could tell quite a few there were in his personal collection. he did have several pretty gnarly and big Sierra junipers. I wish I would have snapped a photo. It was an odd setup with the glass shop just right there. Lots of pots for sure, though his prices were better 2 years ago.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
So to thicken it, would you hope for a bud on a curve lower down the trunk and let it grow out for several years….or would you use one that is popping now?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey all. I’m still in SD and went to this shop again. I visited the same place 2 years ago as well. Last time I bought a pot and some akadama. This time I wanted to look at their pot selection again and their price for akadama . They had a very large selection of pots, but most of what was available was unglazed. Only a handful of glazed which was what I was looking for. BUT. Outside the owner had a large selection of his trees and others for sale, which he didn’t have last time. The location is kind of funny, because the guy also owns a glass shop. Like automotive and residential. His bonsai shop is run from the same building! Anyways, along with the standard, elm, ficus and juniper he had for sale, he also had these bent up JBP for sale for $22 each. I bit on this one. He said it was a 6yr old from seed. Does that look right? I love how compact he scrunched the whole thing and will def aim to keep it squat, but I want to grow out the trunk as thick as possible over the next 5-10.

my questions and concerns.

I’ve seen them grow in awfully hardy zones and am not terrible concerned being in 7a. BUT, should I be concerned considering this was grown from seed in San Diego? I should probably give it extra protection for this first winter it’s about to go to?

I’ve never done a JBP, and figured this may be a decent place to start. But, IVE NEVER done JBP so I need to read up on quite a few threads! I figure a sacrifice grow out branch is in order while maintaining low shoots intact? What is the best pot to grow out a JBP in? I was thinking a 7” azalea terra cotta pot.
View attachment 405424

Great find! It is so fun when you find something unexpected.

I have kept a JBP wintered outside here in Denver - Zone 5 - successfully 2 years now. I do bring it into the garage for the coldest storms, and then back out it goes. It has been buried under a foot of snow. Seems to be very vigorous. I would think you’d be fine down there without winter protection but maybe keep an eye if it’s going to be really, really cold.

They do great in terra cotta with 1:1:1 for growing out.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So to thicken it, would you hope for a bud on a curve lower down the trunk and let it grow out for several years….or would you use one that is popping now?
I think because of how the tree was compacted I will just use what is available. I’ll probably let one of the shoots to continue to grow out and extend year after year while maintaining the other shoots down low to form my branching and what not. If I get an adventitious bud on a different part of the trunk, I will reevaluate.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Bonsai Nut . If I’m wanting to grow out the tree, do I let one of the shoots grow up unimpeded year after year, not candle cutting, no needle plucking, while also candle cutting and needle plucking the other branching down low that I want to keep? Or is it best to let everything grow unimpeded for several years? I assume the first option but don’t know.

Top Bottom