JBP seedlings growing medium

BMaags

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello I'm brand new to bonsai. I started with 20 JBP seeds in December and now I have 11 healthy seedlings that are ready to be transfered to actual pots. I have the pots, I was wondering what the best growing medium would be to transfer them to. I have spent some time searching the internet on this topic, but only found a few conflicting answers. Thanks in advance for any help.

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Are you able to water daily? If so, 100% pumice is a great medium for developing pines. If you live in extreme heat and dryness, then you can consider mixing pumice with bark.

Paulkellum

Mame
Reaction score
Hello I'm brand new to bonsai. I started with 20 JBP seeds in December and now I have 11 healthy seedlings that are ready to be transfered to actual pots. I have the pots, I was wondering what the best growing medium would be to transfer them to. I have spent some time searching the internet on this topic, but only found a few conflicting answers. Thanks in advance for any help.

Once you have the cuttings root they go in bonsai soil. Med size. Small will stay to wet and large with make roots thick. I use akadama,pumice,lava. You can put a plug of sand in pot where seedling is starting and it's roots will grow out into soil.

Telperion

Seedling
Reaction score
"I have the pots..."
What kind of pots?
It would be a mistake to put these seedlings in any kind of bonsai pot, unless you plan to live several centuries. A 1 gallon nursery pot would be find. Pumice is great. Fertilize aggressively.
Good luck,
Chris Kirk
Telperion Farms

BMaags

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses!

Are you able to water daily? If so, 100% pumice is a great medium for developing pines. If you live in extreme heat and dryness, then you can consider mixing pumice with bark.

I am able to water daily. So I could use only pumice without adding anything else to the mix? It seems that everything I find via online searches is telling me to use some kind of mixture.

BMaags

Seedling
Reaction score
Once you have the cuttings root they go in bonsai soil. Med size. Small will stay to wet and large with make roots thick. I use akadama,pumice,lava. You can put a plug of sand in pot where seedling is starting and it's roots will grow out into soil.

Would you say bonsai soil is preferable to 100% pumice?

BMaags

Seedling
Reaction score
"I have the pots..."
What kind of pots?
It would be a mistake to put these seedlings in any kind of bonsai pot, unless you plan to live several centuries. A 1 gallon nursery pot would be find. Pumice is great. Fertilize aggressively.
Good luck,
Chris Kirk
Telperion Farms

I have a bunch of small 3 inch tall terracotta pots

Paulkellum

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses!

I am able to water daily. So I could use only pumice without adding anything else to the mix? It seems that everything I find via online searches is telling me to use some kind of mixture.

Pumice is good but a clay helps hold water well. With small seedlings in all pumice u need water few times a day when it's summer so mix some things in that help moisture. If your new stay clear of bark. It's great in flower bed for mulch but not in soil mixes. You will hear ton people say they do it. Look at any repoting pictures in Japan only bark is on the tree. Pumice is kinda smooth the lava is sharp heps roots to cut and branch better.

BMaags

Seedling
Reaction score
sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure that I'm doing this right. I'm really excited to finally get into the art of bonsai as someone who has been intrigued for many years.

BMaags

Seedling
Reaction score
So if I were to mix pumice, clay, and lava would that be an ok growing medium for the seedlings? Since I have 11 seedlings, I might experiment with different proportions for each one and study the results.

Paulkellum

Mame
Reaction score
sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure that I'm doing this right. I'm really excited to finally get into the art of bonsai as someone who has been intrigued for many years.

It's awesome I love this stuff. I was like you looking for best information but everyone has their twists. I use no organic stuff in any soil mix. You can water everyday and never overwater. And worry about the health of trees first and styling last.

Paulkellum

Mame
Reaction score
So if I were to mix pumice, clay, and lava would that be an ok growing medium for the seedlings? Since I have 11 seedlings, I might experiment with different proportions for each one and study the results.

2 parts pumice 1 lava 1 akadama would work great for this.

BMaags

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I have enough to go off of for me to get started.

Evilman626

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Top Bottom