Jbp seedlings.

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
I had these in full sun moved into shade for now. It has been raining for what seems to be a full month here in Maryland. These sprouted strong and fast and seem to be dropping off just as fast. I'm also growing jwp and the seem fine compared to the jbp. I lost 2 wp but only because the seeds were not baried ant the root was on the surface and dried out. But I'm thinking these jbp are getting to much sun or too much rain. Thanks for any ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_20160528_154718492.jpg
    IMG_20160528_154718492.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20160528_154745388.jpg
    IMG_20160528_154745388.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20160528_154734600.jpg
    IMG_20160528_154734600.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20160528_154724036.jpg
    IMG_20160528_154724036.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 53

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I had these in full sun moved into shade for now. It has been raining for what seems to be a full month here in Maryland. These sprouted strong and fast and seem to be dropping off just as fast. I'm also growing jwp and the seem fine compared to the jbp. I lost 2 wp but only because the seeds were not baried ant the root was on the surface and dried out. But I'm thinking these jbp are getting to much sun or too much rain. Thanks for any ideas.
If it's been raining for a month I doubt it'd be the sun. I've never grown jbp from seed, but it looks like to much water to me.

Aaron

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
If it's been raining for a month I doubt it'd be the sun. I've never grown jbp from seed, but it looks like to much water to me.

Aaron
Lmao. Good point. No idea why I'd think sun. Yea at one point wit went 18 says of rain. Honestly thou. It has rained alot but the sun still shows up everyday but maybe not for long. Maybe the soils too deep and holding the moisture too long.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yeah the soil is prettty bad....

I started mine in a .5"-1" pocket of sand surounded by shohin soil (pumice and akadama) and they are doing great.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damping off. A fungus.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Would have to agree with you both. That's exactly what it seems to be what can I do. Fungicide ? Lett the soil dry out, move them ?
I planted 50 JBP seeds this Spring. Some in potting mix similar to yours, some in turfface and some in a large grain "boons Mix" (Akadama, pumice, lava). The pots of varying soils sprouted at approximately the same rate but the ones in The potting mix and turface damped (dampened??) off at a MUCH higher rate! Nothing "scientific" just my tiny little subset observation but it lead me to believe sprouting them in a very open mix is the best solution. For trees already sprouted... Maybe a mild fungicide like neem oil would help a bit, but I think the best advice is to try again with better soil!

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
Now that I think about it and went to look at all my stuff my wife accidentally put a fungicide on my jwp maybe that's the difference. Didn't even think about it till an hour ago I sent her to homedepto a month ago just after planting seeds. I had some pests on my crab apple and she grabbed the wrong thing and watered the plants and jwps with them.

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
I planted 50 JBP seeds this Spring. Some in potting mix similar to yours, some in turfface and some in a large grain "boons Mix" (Akadama, pumice, lava). The pots of varying soils sprouted at approximately the same rate but the ones in The potting mix and turface damped (dampened??) off at a MUCH higher rate! Nothing "scientific" just my tiny little subset observation but it lead me to believe sprouting them in a very open mix is the best solution. For trees already sprouted... Maybe a mild fungicide like neem oil would help a bit, but I think the best advice is to try again with better soil!
Have you had alot survive in the potting soil. ?

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've grown pitch pine from seed two years. I found daconil to work well. I don't think pitch pine are as sensitive to damping off as JBP. Try to keep them in as much sun as you can.

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
IMG_20160529_174635042.jpg IMG_20160529_174647617.jpg Okay went out and did some work. Cut pot down to allow more sun on the soil also added cuts all along the sides of the pot to aid in drainage. It started to rain again so the pot is under cove till sunrise. Tomorrow I will hit with fungicide.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Be patient and wait until they get stronger.

You can also remove some of them, cut the root where it's swollen and white, dip them in hormones and plant them in individual pots.

A few I left in a pot:

20140327193328-72a67b38-me.jpg

Somme I put in individual pots:

20160429173920-286f515c-me.jpg

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
Be patient and wait until they get stronger.

You can also remove some of them, cut the root where it's swollen and white, dip them in hormones
That was my exact plan because in this bigger pot the squirrels want to dig they wiped out half of what didn't damp off so this is what I'm stuck with. I was reading about the seedling cuttings and it says when the stem gets purple. Is this purple ?

Attachments

• IMG_20160605_181408428.jpg
    IMG_20160605_181408428.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20160605_181414374.jpg
    IMG_20160605_181414374.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 24

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The color on the stem method is not accurate enough really. In my experience the color is inconsistent across seedlings, e.g. it's not so much an indicator of the exact age as perhaps some genetic trait. Your trees are old enough to do the seedling cutting technique. You might even be able to save the ones that start to damp off by cutting the stem above the infection and planting in pumice or some other free-draining media.

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
The color on the stem method is not accurate enough really. In my experience the color is inconsistent across seedlings, e.g. it's not so much an indicator of the exact age as perhaps some genetic trait. Your trees are old enough to do the seedling cutting technique. You might even be able to save the ones that start to damp off by cutting the stem above the infection and planting in pumice or some other free-draining media.
Okay thanks. I will be doing that next weekend.

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Too bad you're in Maryland. I'd invite you to our soil making workshop next month here in SF. Tell your local club to go in on some bonsai soil components and do a group sifting/sorting bagging party and sell it per gallon at cost to all the participants.

Top Bottom