JBP seeds

sfeagan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is my second try at growing seeds from a kit my son got me for Christmas. The first round I had a couple sprout but the died from what I was told was "damp off". I really want to keep these alive bring my son gave them to me. Should I keep them in the seeds starter soil or put then in something else? Should I cut them, use hormone and replant? These actually look better than the first ones.

Attachments

• 20210318_145837.jpg
    20210318_145837.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 25

Eye_Bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
You should leave them in the starter cup until the roots are taking up most of the space in the cup. Look at the water, is the dirt dry, moist, wet, soaked? Try keeping the soil moist. Maby try keeping them a bit warmer, or closer to a window?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There are as many different ways of growing JBP seedlings for bonsai as there is growers so you are likely to get lots of conflicting advice.
Cutting the stems is a way of getting lots of radial roots that will eventually give better nebari. Personally I have had better results just by doing good root pruning at transplant and subsequent transplantings.
You can transplant at any time or the seedlings can stay in the seed cups until roots are well established. All methods will eventually get you to JBP trees. When you have a few seedlings it can be worth while trying different techniques to get a first and look at what works for you in your area.

Damping off is usually related to humid, stagnant air so is common when seedlings are too protected or grown inside where there is no air movement and not enough light. Sunshine is vital for plant growth and the UV provides some antibiotic protection from fungal infection.

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
I would hedge your bets a bit. Leave two there, repot two into pure perlite when slightly bigger, do the seedling cutting thing on two...stick two in a sunny indoor window for year 1 etc - that way if there’s trouble or an error you won’t lose the lot.

Top Bottom