JBP styled by Ben Oki

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
It appears not...but best of luck to you with your new pine; I hope it does turn into something awesome for you.

Ok listen. I have had this whole time an open mind to new ideas. The problem is I got people on here telling me one thing and others who I personally know telling me another way. A lil confussing when you are pretty new to this type, wouldn't you say?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It appears not...

Aw give him a break. :rolleyes:

He's listening to someone he actually knows and has met face to face. That can go a very long way in credibility. Taking advice on the net is sometimes very hard to do, since there is usually no frame of reference and no context for the information. I think the guy is open to new ideas and is taking a reasonable path.

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
It appears not...

He's listening to someone he actually knows and has met face to face. That can go a very long way in credibility. Taking advice on the net is sometimes very hard to do, since there is usually no frame of reference and no context for the information. I think the guy is open to new ideas and is taking a reasonable path.

Thanks. I hate it when people on forums jump others because they think there way is the only way at all. I'm glad I don't just give up on bonsai cause it seems that I get alot of people who treat questions like dumb ones and probably without knowing make others feel small and dumb. Still no one except fr my teacher has really explained the pros and cons of both and he even said that neither are the wrong way. Both work just one works better. Next time explain these things like you would to a kid. In the end it will help everyone and anyone who reads it. And if it annoys you and u can't say an encouraging and helping comment then don't comment at all.
Again I will be sure to post the progression of this awesome tree. I've really fallin inlove with pines and have decided they are my favorite. Thanks again for al the help on my question.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It appears not...

Choosing now to weigh in eh?...he came here asking to be pointed "in a good direction", people took the time to do that, and he punts, so I wished him well...give me the break.

I knew it all at 25 too...turns out I was wrong...:eek:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Brian, to me it looks more like he was getting conflicting info, if you got the same deal, do you go with the people you see daily(monthly anyway) or an unknown on the net.

It's difficult as a newbie in a forum to know who knows what, we have seen a bunch of know it nothings give out bad advice bunches of times. Even though there was a concensus here in the thread for the most part, he had to make a decision based on very little to make him warm and fuzzy. Many of us have been around long enough to knwo you have done some great work with these, and will seek you out, or at least take your opinion over Joe schmo.

I don't think you are having a tantrum or anything like that, just sayin, it's no biggie. Speaking of that, I gotta go read thru your blog again, I have a couple I'll start on over the winter, good looking stuff you have in there, very detail oriented, good job.

woodguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Buffrider, I think that Brian has given you some good answers to your questions. I know that it can be very difficult to sort through all the conflicting opinions on bonsai techniques. Especially considering different climates can totally change the approach you need to take. You seem to be saying that your teacher also suggests as Brian does that you should do one candle cutting. Obviously this is someone you trust, you should take his advice. Now if you look on this site, a while back Brian posted a three? year progression showing the development of a JBP that he decandled in mid summer each year. The proof is in the pictures.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Buffrider,glad you have joined our forum,ive been trolling around here for a few years now,the info you have recieved is very credible,listen to what there saying,it does not take much to kill a JBP,even with some experience,ive never had a problem with someone passing bad information here,everyone ive met on this board are stand up individuals,and have always steered me in the right direction with my trees.Good luck,the pine definently has some potential if you can get some good branching with ramification,your trunk looks awesome.

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
I will be decandling thus tree today. I'll post some pics as I go.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Since I recommended the candle-pruning, I feel obligated to advise you that you're a little late now. Although it doesn't seem like it, the windows for work on pines are pretty small and these 3 weeks are critical because you're gambling on fall weather cooperating at this point. Assuming it wasn't repotted this year, and that it looks strong enough, you may be ok.

As an example, this branch was candle-pruned on 7/1, so 38 days ago. Assuming yours responds at the same rate, yours would look like this around September 16 if you pruned today. It will take another full month at a minimum to have needles open and buds set. The weather would need to still be conducive to growth in mid-October...no frosts yet, day temps still predictably in the 70s at least.

If you proceed...100% all-day sun and feed weekly without fail, following the label for dilution.

Attachments

• JPB 080811.jpg
    JPB 080811.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 76

biglou13

Mame
Reaction score
BVF,
the tree looks leggy. candling will most likely improve ramification. with slight chance of back budding.
in my novice opinion priority is back budding. (fall prune of this years growth) after back budding, then prune "legs", then work on ramification closer to trunk versus end of legs.

just wondering what went into the decision process to candle V. force back budding?

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
I'm going to go ahead with it. My friend said with the heat we have been getting here that it will be ok. We fertilize once a week here anyways so it should be getting what it needs.

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
well i just wanted to let yall know that i went ahead and trunk chopped this tree like was suggested to me......... No new growth yet so dont know......

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
well i just wanted to let yall know that i went ahead and trunk chopped this tree like was suggested to me......... No new growth yet so dont know......
Just kidding..... i did do the decandleing and it probably was a lil to late to do that but i learn so..... yea. Well its popped new buds all over and im feeding it like crazy and giving it full all day sun. It should pull through just fine. I will be repoting it this next spring cause it is in crappy soil and need new fast draining soil. So half this spring and the rest the next year.

Top Bottom