JBP winter seed experiment

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nyb,

the downside with seedlings, at of least on our side, weird seedlings that die of as time goes by, out 30 about 5 to 8 will be strange.
You will know them, by the deformed needled or extra needles etc.
2 or 3 years later, normally 1 or 2 will pass away, no adaptation.

By the way I read that on your side Scots Pine [ Mr. Valavanis ] is more useful. J.B.pine is also a zone 10 pine.

We suspect that our J.B.pines are probably Tropical , zone 13 [ a or b ] as it has no real flushes or,will candle at less than 1".
So no more seeds, just cuttings from those that are doing the best in growing down here.
Good Day
Anthony

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've never compared the two...I've only used rootone. I'd say I haven't been super impressed by it so perhaps try a stronger formula.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i did two seedling cuttings thus far from the first batch of seeds one week ago. I'm misting and so far they haven't shriveled up.
So far the unstratified batch of seeds I'd say is around 50-60% germination and is moving along. I'm getting ready to do a larger group of seedling cuttings. Once done I'll be able to get the grow light closer also, I have it a little further away so the light hits a little wider area, not sure if it will make much difference.

The tray my 5 year old helped me with sure had a lot of seeds pop! Guess he got a little carried away. Some wonky curvy needles though, hoping it's not a bad sign.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    321.1 KB · Views: 82

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice! I am preparing to plant mine also. When the spring comes, so I still have a few months. Last year I did just a couple as a test drive, not sure how they are doing, I have 3 that are alive I think :)

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll be able to get the grow light closer also, I have it a little further away so the light hits a little wider area, not sure if it will make much difference.
Some wonky curvy needles though, hoping it's not a bad sign.

@Eric Schrader

Are the quotes not cause and effect?

I am under the impression, especially with pine seedlings, that the more light you have, the lower/shorter the buds will start.

Should not NY, be blasting them with light?

Thanks!

Sorce

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Eric Schrader

Are the quotes not cause and effect?

I am under the impression, especially with pine seedlings, that the more light you have, the lower/shorter the buds will start.

Should not NY, be blasting them with light?

Thanks!

Sorce

Very well could be Sorce. I think that lesser light might cause the stems to stretch longer, but wasn't sure if that will impact needle staightness. From the limited info i have read crooked needles just indicated a lesser healthy seedling, whether it is a lighting issue or a seed quality issue, I am not sure. I have some straight and some with curvy needles .

I have read in a few places that they place the seeds in a shady area to germinate and grow a little before they get placed into full sun. Hopefully once seedling cuttings are done and I lower the single long bulb fixture down closer to the seedlings I'm using it will improve things. If not, it's only a few months until they get moved outside permanently to get blasted.

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If you look at the Matsuo article in BT#20 he notes that some seedlings will have curvy needles. He doesn't go into the cause but goes on to say that in his opinion these seedlings are weak. In my experience the curvy-ness of the cotyledons has no correlation to the later health or vigor of the plant. I would assume it's caused by environmental factors, of some slight malformation in the embryo. When you really start to look at these types of things it's not so easy to nail down the reason without some true scientific method.

But, that all said, I would give them as much light as possible, just making sure that you're not baking them with it. (e.g. too much heat from the lights.)

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Two months later and things appear to be going ok. Due to seedlings sprouting at various times I did the cuttings in groups a few weeks apart. I also tried a few different combos on the hormone. It was all strictly dip n grow but a few I did 5% and others 10% hormone solution. So far I think the 10% is better. I also held some in the solution longer than a few seconds similar to what Jonas did on his blog.
Upgraded my lighting as the one single bulb was just not large enough to cover all the pots. Right now it's a four bulb 6500k setup, but I'm only using two bulbs. I used four bulbs for a few days and noticed a slight change in the cutting coloration, kind of changing to purple on some needles. I'm not sure if it's the light but he timing it occurred made me believe so. The cuttings didn't go right into the light after I cut them, but about 4 or 5 weeks later. I spray with fungicide every few weeks to fight any potential damping off. So far I'm pleased and hoping that they have a long successful growing season ahead.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You diluted a rooting hormone liquid of concentration x with 4 or 9 parts water??? :confused:

You should be confused because what I said makes no sense. What I meant to say was i did some with thr 5x dilution and some with the 10x.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You should be confused because what I said makes no sense. What I meant to say was i did some with thr 5x dilution and some with the 10x.
Sigh of relief ;).
I missed whether you were using an IBA or an NAA hormone and the concentration which you have diluted - just gotta know all this geeky stuff :).

Fun stuff that you are doing!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those yellow horses suck!

Nice green though!

Sorce

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Update on the seedlings prompted by @markyscott well documented thread. Not sure how these rank for first year growth but most look good, I think. First winter will be a good test. More seeds on order of other species to start in my bathroom this winter! My wife is thrilled!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    325.3 KB · Views: 58

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Update on the seedlings prompted by @markyscott well documented thread. Not sure how these rank for first year growth but most look good, I think. First winter will be a good test. More seeds on order of other species to start in my bathroom this winter! My wife is thrilled!

Nice looking seedlings, NY

Scott

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's starting to get colder here in NY and I'm wondering what the rule of thumb with cold protection on young seedlings is. I usually leave some trees out all season buried in mulch and some others i bring in and out of the garage as necessary.

I'm not sure if seedlings need extra caution and i noticed just the other morning that the soil in the tiny pots appeared to be frozen or just on the cusp of frozen. Our temps have dipped down to right around the freezing mark. I'm wondering if I need to be more cautious and move them to avoid a freeze or if I can allow them to stay out for those temps and then bring into the garage when temps dip below 30 or so...

Thoughts?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
These grew pretty well this year. They are now two years old with no repot since being cut. Surely overdue for a repot. Tons a buds at soil line. Cold snap has caused purple needles at the moment on some.
5105927E-79B1-421F-8163-7180EC01BEFC.jpeg

And a package in the mail today, because unlike the west coasters, these are not available around every corner by me.
0F3A705E-BBDF-49F9-BDA5-9AA533E94627.jpeg

Big party in spring for some pines
6FA03B3E-673A-4423-9448-F2CC889BD338.jpeg

The blue ones are huge and won’t see any action from this group for a few years, but I have some others that will rent the space.
B2376E64-0DC2-41E8-BB78-2CA67D57A360.jpeg

Top Bottom