JBP with great potential.... I think

Bonds Guy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought this jbp that a lot of club members were quickly drawn too and just as quickly turned away (for good reason). I however, believe this tree has potential to become something great.
Here’s a few fronts:
BDE50751-81A8-4787-AAD7-6E1248665571.jpeg8CD6FC0C-E5BA-462E-8D2E-F0BB0F9B76A6.jpeg5DD8CB36-DBCC-4C7E-BC53-6A463B4FC26D.jpeg

I’m leaning towards the third front but I wouldn’t mind hearing what you guys think.

In regard to styling, as you can see those 2 straight, thick branches have almost no use. One guy from my club mention the thick branch in the back in pic 2 has some curve to it and can possibly be used. Only issue is the only branches coming off of it are at the end thus its whorlly.
Here’s some close up:
61B0B707-832C-415D-994B-49F06DDC1EE4.jpeg883AE6A0-26ED-4C84-89C5-DF1F68D078C7.jpeg

My idea for now is to remove the thick branches (over time of course) and use the thinner branches at the base of the junction of the thick branches. Any feedback is welcomed.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree. I think everything but those two small, low branches is sacrificial. IOW, one of them is your next trunk section. The other = branch #1. Of course, use the one with the bud closest to the trunk for the branch. I would prune it up a bit (in a month or so) so those two lower branches will be unshaded and to give some visual separation to make it easier to envision the future tree. Then I'd do a little wiring to create a beginning structure and put it aside for the winter

I like the `messy' nebari. It might fuse in the course of the next 5 years but, it could be a nice beginning for making an exposed root JBP - you should decide by the time of the next repotting.

Yeah, it should be lots of fun. :D

Top Bottom