Jbp

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi to old friends and new. This is my first post here. Nice site.

Here is my most recent collection, a JBP that is about 8 ft tall. After 5 hours work I managed to collect a rootball 3 ft in diameter and about 2 ft deep. Nearly killed me moving it. Anyway, if it lives I think it will be a super tree. Now I have a couple of years to save up for the pot!

Cheers
Brian

Attachments

• collected-jbp5.jpg
    collected-jbp5.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 433
  • collected-jbp4.jpg
    collected-jbp4.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 333
  • collected-jbp2.jpg
    collected-jbp2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 415

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Where in the world did you find a JBP this large just sitting around? It almost looks like it was left in the back of a nursery and grew out through the bottom of the pot or something...

I think I see Mexican Fan Palms in the background - so that means you need to be somewhere in Southern California :)

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Brian, you could have sold tickets to that event ;). How big of an army was needed to move that tree? I am assuming you will use this as Japanese Garden piece? I have heard of imperial size bonsai. Never seen one outside of the national arboretum though, I salute you.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nut, this was offered to me by a landscape architect at a horticultural society meeting. She was redoing a client's front yard, and it didnt fit in the style requested. She thought it was a shame to chainsaw it down, and didn't want to pay for its removal. There was a second one too, but it's kinda ugly.....came out of the ground easy though. And yes, I'm in S. Cal. - San Diego.

Tom, it was just my son (24 yr old) and myself (too danged old) moving it. The only thing that saved us was that it was growing in a raised brick planter. Once we had the tree separated from its tap roots, I backed the truck up to it. The tailgate dropped perfectly onto the edge of the planter. Son and I were able to roll the rootball out of the planter, and into the truck bed. Right now the plan is using this for the entrance to the nursery. Wouldn't mind an imperial sized bonsai, but I don't think I could afford the pot! Anyway, no decision to be made until we see if it lives.

Don't think I'll be trying another one like this, so this one is definitely going to be my record catch.

Brian

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Brain tell us about your nursery and where its located.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey Brian

Nice find!! Although it is a bit large to be a traditonal bonsai I think it will look good in a nice big pot! Those are going to be some thick branches to bend, I would invest in branch splitters!!

How is the nursery doing? Oh, and the ponderosa, is it doing ok in San Diego? I hope all is well for you and if you need field grown stock give me a call.....

See Ya,

Jason

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brain tell us about your nursery and where its located.

Tom,

Thanks for asking. Our nursery is new....only in business since mid-September. It's in San Diego County - two miles north of Lakeside on Hwy 67 for those who know the area. When I got to San Diego last spring, I started asking folks where to get decent pots......and was told I'd have to go to Los Angeles for that. Nearest place was 100 miles. So, I partnered with a native San Diegan who was trying to sell bonsai stock and lessons out of her back yard. We moved into a 1.5 acre site with a specialty nursery....Calif natives and drought tolerant plants. Most of the stock was from my partner's place, and we haven't moved it all in yet. We dug up some of the overgrown nursery stock on site, and have been collecting and buying good stock this winter. And we made a pot run, so now there's a place in San Diego where you can buy decent pots....lol.

So far the nursery is paying the bills, but not a salary.....not too bad for three months in. And yes Jason, the Ponderosa pine is doing well. The east county gets quite a bit colder than the coast here. I'm hoping it will continue to thrive. I'll definitely keep you in mind for stock in the future.

Brian

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sounds very cool Brian. I wish you and your partner the best of luck. I have wanted to come back to San Diego after being stationed there in the Navy some 30 odd years ago. If I get the chance I would like to see your Nursery.

Top Bottom