Jewelry Box -> Bonsai Pot

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Found this really cool jewelry box at Goodwill and want to repurpose it as a bonsai pot. My best guess is that it is made of resin.

Besides drilling holes in the bottom, is there anything I can do to help withstand the elements, such as applying some kind of sealant or glaze?

Additionally any ideas of what kind of tree might compliment this "pot"?

Attachments

• 20200315_223522.jpg
    20200315_223522.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 20200315_223646.jpg
    20200315_223646.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200315_223539.jpg
    20200315_223539.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20200315_223545.jpg
    20200315_223545.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 45

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If it is totally resin, meaning it was cast, then nothing more is needed. This kind of lacquer box, though, is often urushi laquer over wood and you'll need to apply a sealer of some kind to the edges of holes you bore through the bottom for drainage and for wires - some paint/varnish/lacquer. Marine varnish or tung oil would be just the thing but likely of greater market value than the box. But the box has some value above that for you, so it is for you to decide, of course.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If it is totally resin, meaning it was cast, then nothing more is needed. This kind of lacquer box, though, is often urushi laquer over wood and you'll need to apply a sealer of some kind to the edges of holes you bore through the bottom for drainage and for wires - some paint/varnish/lacquer. Marine varnish or tung oil would be just the thing but likely of greater market value than the box. But the box has some value above that for you, so it is for you to decide, of course.
I believe it to be entirely made of resin, or whatever white/crystal material is inside. The top handle of the lid was chipped off as well as an edge on the bottom. And they are both the same material. It is also fairly heavy for its size.

I'm looking to mainly preserve the outer paint from weather, and help the inside hold up to being watered, if needed.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've had good luck with Krylon Satin Clear spray that you can buy at Walmart. It holds up outdoors better than other clears I have used. Recoat every 3 or 4 years, depending upon appearance. High gloss clear will weather better, but you may or may not want shiny.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thats going to be a hell of a repot if it gets bound.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ya know, them belly pots do lock up after a time, but since you're going to chop the roots to pieces on a repot anyway, you can run a knife around the perimeter, rocking it back-and-forth and cut them buggers lose, leaving a donut of roots in the pot to be discarded separately. I have a big kitchen knife just for that. It ain't fun, but we got lots of time and I still got 8 more fingers to go!

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think this "pot" would suit an old, gnarled apple tree. The aesthetic of a European renaissance painting, where apples were commonly used.

png-transparent-three-yellow-and-red-apple-fruits-illustration-paper-tile-painting-mosaic-coll...png

home-design.jpg

Top Bottom