JH elm experts ...

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Could it be fall? I don't know how temperature/light is in your area right now, but here some trees are starting to turn, especially up in the mountains

Cody

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know some things are starting to change here , but it's still fairly warm , in the 80's and none of my other trees are changing , I don't know anything about this tree since I just got it , so I am just curious . Thanks for your feedback.

Josh86

Yamadori
Reaction score
I think it's probably fall it's not so much the heat as the shortening of daylight

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Have you checked for spider mites?
I had the hardest time keeping them off my JH elm. It would start dropping it's lower leaves in August and be almost bare by this time of year.

Cody

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think it's probably fall it's not so much the heat as the shortening of daylight

Thank you for that ! I guess I figured it was mostly the cold that made leaves drop. I know there are a lot of trees around here that are either changing or dropping leaves right now, so maybes that's what is . Thanks!

Cody

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Have you checked for spider mites?
I had the hardest time keeping them off my JH elm. It would start dropping it's lower leaves in August and be almost bare by this time of year.

No spider mites , I guess I didn't realize when I got the tree on why it was bare half way up but had lots of internodes , I'm guessing it was already starting to drop leaves .

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hopefully some of our Michigan experts can chime in, since I haven't seen a good deciduous fall showing in several years. But doesn't that elm have a nice orange color? Hard to tell in those pics, but the pale stippled portions look like insect damage, specifically mites. Also how are you overwintering? You guys get pretty cold!

Cody

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They are changing to basically burnt orange to brown very fast , not sure how it will change I guess lol, and mites ? I haven't seen anything of any incexts on this tree I've inspected it multiple times as I do with all my trees quite often , but don't see anything . How do yo spot them ? Cuz the other tree the guy fave me has similar problems it seems like it's leaves looks like it has isuuse with something weather it be incexts or just something else .

Cody

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hopefully some of our Michigan experts can chime in, since I haven't seen a good deciduous fall showing in several years. But doesn't that elm have a nice orange color? Hard to tell in those pics, but the pale stippled portions look like insect damage, specifically mites. Also how are you overwintering? You guys get pretty cold!
Oh and for winter I'm going to just put them in my enclosed porch , it's warm enough to keep them from freezing bit cold enough to keep them use to all four seasons :) it gets somewhat cold here, lived in places way colder haha

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a couple elms with leaves looking like that. They are tall and in buckets growing out. If I leave them up on the benches they get blown off. So they sit on the ground. Where they don't get the best drainage,more shade and have been hit by frost a couple of times already. The ones up on the benches are perfectly healthy.
Probably fungus or too wet or a combination of both plus getting blown over still.
That's my problem.
How wet is your soil?
Does it get full sun for as long as possible?
Is there adequate air flow?
For mine,I'm not worrying. They'll be dropping leaves and getting ready for the long freeze.
Elm leaves turn a buttery yellow in fall if winter doesn't hit them first. I don't always get the yellow that comes naturally. Sometimes they just freeze off but when conditions are right they should be this color.IMG952013110395135511_1.jpg

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
and mites ? I haven't seen anything of any incexts on this tree I've inspected it multiple times as I do with all my trees quite often , but don't see anything . How do yo spot them ?
Usually on the underside of leaf, pluck one off and look at it in good light. Sometimes infestations will also have thin webbing and dusty appearance (I assume it's their poop). For fun, I also use a 10x hand lens. IMO, BelOMO are the best for the price and are available online. There are also cheaper ones out there, but don't go higher magnification than 10x. The 20x will have too small a field of view are hard to use.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Soft new elm growth is like #5 or 6 on a mites list of easy go to's.

If your JH elm has mites you have other trees that are Probly near death with mites.

If your other trees aren't visually decimated from mites, I highly doubt they have migrated to a small thick leaved JH.

Fall is definitely here. It's way early and seems will be very long. Anything in a pot can be thinking dormancy.

Huh....anyone dormant is Probly thinking pot!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh look at the pics?

That ain't fall.

Looks like mites!

Sorce

Cody

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh look at the pics?

That ain't fall.

Looks like mites!

Sorce

What's the best way to get rid of the mites ? I just got this tree from someone for free so none of my other trees have them ,,, yet what should I use on them to kill the mites ? And should I be spraying my other trees as well to make sure theu don't get them ?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's the best way to get rid of the mites ? I just got this tree from someone for free so none of my other trees have them ,,, yet what should I use on them to kill the mites ? And should I be spraying my other trees as well to make sure theu don't get them ?

Where's your whole setup?

If that is mites, you can do an underleaf rub smash with a wash down spray and be straight.
4,000 leaves later may be another story!

But for now, mechanical removal is THE SAFEST MOST EFFECTIVE OPTION.

They Probly came with the tree.
That feller is Probly sitting with them decimated specimens!

Looks like they will have looked elsewhere for habitat since you got it, so you may want to inspect any close trees thoroughly.

Sorce

Cody

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Where's your whole setup?

If that is mites, you can do an underleaf rub smash with a wash down spray and be straight.
4,000 leaves later may be another story!

But for now, mechanical removal is THE SAFEST MOST EFFECTIVE OPTION.

They Probly came with the tree.
That feller is Probly sitting with them decimated specimens!

Looks like they will have looked elsewhere for habitat since you got it, so you may want to inspect any close trees thoroughly.

Sorce

I have 3 trees in total. Not many , the other 2 are Chinese Elms, and he did give me a Chinese elm as well , it seems ok, so far but the trees are very close together cuz I don't have room for trees , as far as the wash down, what does that consist on doing ? It's going to be had to remove the tree as the only other place at the moment until i move is inside a porch . Thanks for the help!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any stream over about twenty psi incuding urine as long as you rinse it with water after!

The tree!

A hose.

My $three Wal-Mart pump sprayer is good.

Sorce

Cody

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How often should I spray it down ? I just did it right now, and put it in the porch area from other 2 trees but looks like the chinese elm he gave me may have some type of fungal problem , so I'm keeping an eye on it, should I spray down all my trees ? Also can I use seven dust spray on my trees ? I know it's strong but I know it will get rid of mites . Thanks again sorce

-Cody

Cody

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
IMG_20170920_161712858_HDR.jpg IMG_20170920_161701161.jpg IMG_20170920_161650908_HDR.jpg IMG_20170920_161642263_HDR.jpg

Here is the chinese elm he gave me, what do you think is wrong with this guy ? I think I know what it is, but can't member the name of it, it's fungal right ? Thanks for all of your guys' help.

Top Bottom