jin/carving tools

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The first tool a Flex cut draw knife. Have used it in the past, with average results. Its really better for hard to reach areas that you want to carve. The other I have not used.

You could have really saved yourself a few bucks by crushing the bark with jin pliers to create a jin. Then carve it out with a craft knife or fiber pull to shape and texturize the jin.

Guess you never can have to many tools though! ;)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
X-acto has a nice tool that works well and you can buy it at your local hardware store, the blades are separate, but the plastic handle words well.

keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• 51aV1Qsz59L__SL500_AA280_.jpg
    51aV1Qsz59L__SL500_AA280_.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 72
  • handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 58

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks for posting that Harry. I didn't know X-acto made this set.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The patent is good but a 1" blade seems a power tool might be better suited for that job.

Harry I have the x-acto set acquired before bonsai. Good for balsa or really softwood but nothing else IMO.

I have these coming, size more suitable for what I want to do after coarse removal with power tools.

Attachments

• TC5CS-2.jpg
    TC5CS-2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 56

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
The patent is good but a 1" blade seems a power tool might be better suited for that job.

Harry I have the x-acto set acquired before bonsai. Good for balsa or really softwood but nothing else IMO.

I have these coming, size more suitable for what I want to do after coarse removal with power tools.

The x-acto tools are great for taking the bark off of newly created jin, the wood is still soft and workable. They don't however work very well on old dried large hard jin, you will need something a little tougher. Different tools for different jobs.

keep it green,
Harry

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

A good friend and seasoned veteran in the club has these tools, and just this weekend, was telling me how well they work for him. I held one, and they have a great weight and balance, and I like that they work on the "pull" stroke rather than the "push" like lots of tools...seems to provide much more control.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The x-acto tools are great for taking the bark off of newly created jin, the wood is still soft and workable. They don't however work very well on old dried large hard jin, you will need something a little tougher. Different tools for different jobs.

keep it green,
Harry
I forgot Harry, youz a green man. Yes they are definitely suitable for that, but totally useless on hardwood. I can send you my bent blades, might be good to you for going around corners;)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Sorry...the ones in the photo that you had on order...!

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
Hey Manny,
So I know you are aware that crushing and debarking fresh wood is the easiest way to create jin.
And, we work with lots of power tools.
But, I still like to have a nice "draw" took, because they will reach into places and deal with situations like no other tool.
So, I think you will use this tool and love it in the right situation. May be rare. Keep it dry and sharp.
Take care,
Chris
Telperion Farms
www.telperionfarms.com

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey Chris!!! Nice to see you here.

Yeah I still crush the bark and remove with pliers but it always makes a mess in difficult to reach places. I thought I'd give this one a try.

Manny

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score

where did you find those? I've been looking for those forever!!!

Top Bottom