Jin on old wood

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi there, I have a question regarding jin on old and dry wood.
I have a mugo with a lot of dead wood, some barely young and other years old.
With the young one with the jin plier I can easly grab and pull the wood gently, follow the vein, but on the old one the wood is so dry that crack.
There is some secret ? I am thinking to put a wet towel and leave on the dry area to hydratate the wood.

That's the young part and the plant

received_808150237507240.jpeg
IMG-20230410-WA0041.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
No secret. As you have found, fresh wood well peel along the fibres but older, dry wood does not. For wood that will not peel you will need different tools. Wood carving tools - chisel or gouges are available in a range of profiles and when used properly can achieve similar results. Most of us now use power carving tools to do this work. Dremel or similar small rotary tools take different carving bits for small jobs. Die grinder is larger and more powerful to carve out more wood. Power tools need care to avoid injury and to avoid taking off too much wood. Also practice and experience to make the result look natural.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Ok, will do it. I am trying to soak the wood with water, keep him covered with a wet tissue since yesterday, this afternoon I will try

Top Bottom