Jins moving?

Reaction score
Anyone else ever noticed Jins that they have created, that have been wired in place for years, and have harden off...even torched... all of a sudden moving due to high humidity and moisture?

Can be kinda frustrating to say the least...

Been noticing it on quite a few trees as of lately, and have been going back and reapplying wire, and doing corrective measures to get them back where they belong. But, will certainly begin to examine my approach to the use of jins and how they are created... and perhaps how I go about styling trees?

Perhaps in my neck of the woods I might need to put them higher up on the list of priorities, when styling... Seeing that I know live growth once manipulated, will add on new growth to help maintain it's position...

Nothing special about this thread... just an observation.
Thanks!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's funny... every year I have to go screw back in old boards on my fence, that has been standing for at least ten years that I know of... because they have bent and twisted and pulled away.
Never thought of jins that way. But the same forces that make the boards of the fence move are coming into play.
Wet,dry. Wet,dry.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Extremely hot and extremely humid here, and I have never noticed the same... But I generally do not try to move them after the branch is dead. I suspect that is part of the issue. If you wire and set the branch while it is living, there is wood in the shape you want it to be holding the branch in place and it is less likely to move... Just my guess!

Reaction score
Extremely hot and extremely humid here, and I have never noticed the same... But I generally do not try to move them after the branch is dead. I suspect that is part of the issue. If you wire and set the branch while it is living, there is wood in the shape you want it to be holding the branch in place and it is less likely to move... Just my guess!
I am confused?

What I am saying is that I have created jins from live wood. So, I have killed it off. Sometimes before this wood hadened off, I would wire it to shape, as one might do... Sometimes as well, I have used a torch to help speed up the hardening off process... and then lastly, in other cases I did none of this, just created a jin from living material and let it be.

In all cases, the jins were allowed to throughly dry out and harden off... for years in some cases. So, the normal result one would expect to find is that they should not move and should stay as one left them. However, I am saying they are not.

Now, we all know that varying temperatures will cause objects to expand and contract. And so will levels of moisture and lack of moisture... but, have been truely surprised as of lately, as to how much and to what degree they are moving. In some cases they have moved 90 degrees or more and are now pointing in a totally different direction.

I think the reality is that everyone's jins are moving... some just more than others due to their climate.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Noticed. I guess it depends on species and how the jin was treated. I haven't created too many jins so far, but junipers tend to keep the shape of dry deadwood...and one scots pine - jin peeled, wired, dried naturally, limesulphured, unwired and after some rain it really moves back. But after changing the front it doesn't bother me at all.

Reaction score
I thought they were only moving a little bit!
Not all if them obviously have moved this much... in some cases very little, and in others perhaps not at all, at least from what I can detect. What would be awesome to do, if one was able, would be to do one of those time elapsed film footages, like you see on the nature channel s of seedlings growing... I think it would be surprising how much over time they move back n forth with the weather.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I used to have a jinn on a juniper that would straighten by almost 90 every year. I'd steam bend it in spring and by fall it would be back up again. Went on for three years then I lost the tree. It was dead and dry in the original position that it kept returning to before it was positioned.

Top Bottom