JM Help

DWreck

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Two of my japanese maples have a bunch of buds that are covered in this dark, tacky sap. Not all of the buds have this but I am concerned. Has anyone seen this and what can I do to stop/prevent it from spreading?

Attachments

• IMG_20210306_090721444_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210306_090721444_HDR.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20210306_090307500_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210306_090307500_HDR.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20210306_085647201_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210306_085647201_HDR.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 47

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like someone cleaned their hitter on your branch!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you.

<<<<< It will show here.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unless you are holding your phone vertically, then it's unseen.

Sorce

DWreck

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I just looked over the rest of my maples and found another one with the same thing and this one also has black forming on the trunk. I might treat them with phyton 27. Has anyone had luck in a similar situation or should I expect them to be goners...

Attachments

• IMG_20210307_083652134.jpg
    IMG_20210307_083652134.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 27

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A couple of mine have bled like that when temps are warming up. Think it’s just from cold damage. It leafed fine last year. The black on trunk or branches .... well that’s not good. Bacterial infections from cold damage . If you live in a colder area( Wisconsin) don’t prune maples in the fall. Unhealed cuts are more susceptible to nasties especially in zone 3 and 4.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
this one also has black forming on the trunk

To me, this looks like a bacterial attack, like Pseudomonas. If you rub it with alcohol then apply copper-based treatment, it should be OK.

this dark, tacky sap

Maybe a different disease. If there are already critters around, it could be sooty mold. But at the beginning of March in Wisconsin ?

It's more difficult to clean a whole plant than just a portion of the trunk, but once again, in doubt I think the best thing would be Bordeaux mix or the like.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
don’t prune maples in the fall

... or if you do, apply some fungicide and cut paste. If you prune in late winter/early spring, do the same : a lot of diseases spread in the spring when the temps are cool but there's a lot of humidity in the air. Snow carries a lot of nasty things, when it melts, better treat your trees.

Maples heal better when pruned in late winter/early spring, and even better after the first flush of growth (late May/mid-June here).

DWreck

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
These have been kept all winter in my attached garage that is insulated. It stays just above freezing most of the time but a few weeks ago it was extremely cold outside and I noticed that the soil became frozen during that time. I'm hoping that it's just cold damage on the two. The one with the black trunk was trimmed back in the fall just to be able to fit it in the garage with the rest of my maples. I have avoided doing so in the past but gave it a shot last fall.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I understand it's much more difficult to keep potted maples in areas where the soil freezes for days, or even weeks.

If you have a garage, you must have a garden ? Perhaps you could make a sort of cold frame against a wall, slightly buried with some canvas on top : maples, even when potted, can take a few days (reasonably) below zero, esp. if they can be above during the day. Outside, they can get "fresh air"...

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
In the future, if possible keep a small fan running in the immediate area of the wintering trees. A light breeze keeping the air moving will prevent bacterial and fungal issues from developing over winter. Air movement will also minimize cold spots. You will have better root health too.

As to the current problem, Phyton 27 is one brand name for a quaternary ammoniacal surfactant with copper complexed into it. Tablespoon per gallon is a typical dose rate (15ml / 4 liters) the solution will kill bacteria and fungi, without harming the maples.

DWreck

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I applied the Phyton 27 earlier this afternoon mixed at 1 teespoon per gallon which is what I had written down on the bottle from a previous use. Should I reapply it at 1tablespoon per gallon? I added a fan by the trees too.

Top Bottom