JM Layering Planning

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here's another tree that's very early in development, and a layering candidate. My mind is less made up here.

I was also attracted to this tree's base - about 2" diameter, and really nice wavy, twisting, movement:

Front JM.jpg

Few things to note:
  • about halfway up the tree, there's some reasonably harsh reverse taper from multiple strong branches - some of which we're removed.
  • Leaves are not gorgeous right now - it's fall :)
  • I can see a path forward without air layering - with some carving and hollowing near the old chops:
Layer portion.jpg inked layer.jpg

But I'm also pondering a longer-term plan utilizing the base, and layering the top to build an interesting stump/clump:

InkedLayer portion_LI.jpg Layer 2.jpg

The blue line above is where I'd imagine the soil line to be - i.e. where I'd like to encourage rooting. The purple line would be where I'd like to ultimately chop.

At this point, I'm not sure this will be possible given a lack of buds in this area right now - and I'd rather not have this trunk die back to the first (left most) branch on the trunk.

Very open to thoughts or suggestions here. I have some experience with air-layering, but encouraging roots on the blue line above seems a bit more complicated.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The top as it is not, will never be pretty on your tree. It needs to go. Layering it off and making it a clump sounds like a decent option.

O would remove the bark between the red lines and wrap all in sphagnum, with the branches sticking out so they can grow & have leaves etc.

1606078043403.png

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The top as it is not, will never be pretty on your tree. It needs to go. Layering it off and making it a clump sounds like a decent option.

O would remove the bark between the red lines and wrap all in sphagnum, with the branches sticking out so they can grow & have leaves etc.

Thank you - this is exactly what I needed to see marked up.

It's such a cool piece of material standalone - and fully agree it will never look right on this tree.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alternative is to do a regular layer and afterwards lay it on its side with the bark removed.
Neither method is a guaranteed to roots all along the long cut.

Top Bottom